Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Dec 21, 2010

Book Review: The Iron Daughter

Title: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (August 1st 2010)
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Iron Fey #2
Pages: 359

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
My oldest sister just finished this book last night, so I had asked her if she wanted to write a review for it, so here's

Her $0.02

Meghan and Ash's love-hate relationship comes full circle in the sequel to The Iron King. As I commented in my review of The Iron King, I was yearning for more Meghan-Ash alone time. How I wished that Meghan was constantly by Ash's side, through every passageway, every tunnel, every single perilous trod they traveled through and escaped from in the Nevernever. My heart thudded, ached and pined for Ash right alongside Meghan's. Every glimpse of Ash was worth the wait as I turned the pages!

Julie Kagawa did not disappoint her readers in delivering a sequel that surpassed its predecessor, in all aspects imaginable! The Nevernever erupted in vibrant colors that captivated my imagination from beginning to end, with every mythical creature you could name and more, to the iron fey that brought to mind the mechanical wiry machines of The Matrix. I loved the stunning white unicorn...such a pristine addition to all the other creatures mentioned in the book! Scenes from Tom Cruises' old movie, Legend, came to my mind. How strangely coincidental that I mentioned to my sister while reading The Iron King that this was the The Matrix version of Faeryland, only to stumble upon the author's mention of The Matrix on page 326 when she references the "deadly storm of iron bolts" flying toward Meghan "Matrix style".

This is such a classic love story, intriguingly re-told through the world of Faery: ill-fated star-crossed lovers, the winter prince and the summer princess, falling desperately in love with one another. The epitome of extreme polarity is reflected in Meghan's essence of summer and Ash's winter being, each drawn to each other in a world filled with magic and glamour wherein nothing is truly what it seems. The intricately woven plot was beautifully depicted in the way Meghan, a half-breed of human and faery, daughter of the Erlking himself, Oberon, becomes the iron daughter, wielding her power over iron glamour and ultimately saves the realm of Faery, as well as maintaining the balance of the human realm.

Notice, I did not mention Robin Goodfellow as of yet. Puck, the loving and devoted best friend, seems to get the short end of the stick in this love triangle. Nonetheless, Meghan discovers her feelings have intensified and grown toward Puck in a way that she probably always knew existed. Even though I never questioned that Meghan would choose Ash in the end, the pain still throbbed heavily right through my chest when Puck pleaded with her, "Don't do this. I can't follow you this time. Stay here. With me." (pg. 355)

Meghan's choice had been perfectly clear all along. It was and has always been Ash. And Ash's heart beat only waits for one, Meghan. In his words, "You're here, and the only dance I want is this one." (pg. 307)

The Iron Daughter - in one word: perfection!

Left me completely breathless and enchanted…

3 comments:

  1. l still need to read the first book in the series!
    Your sister has done a great review =)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! OMG! You need to start them ASAP! You won't be disappointed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! So great to hear your sister like it. I also like what you out her two cents, haha, funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p