Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jun 8, 2013

Book Review: Facade by Nyrae Dawn

FacadeTitle: Facade (Games, #2)
Author: Nyrae Dawn
Publisher: Forever Romance
Release date: July 2, 2013


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound

Connect with Nyrae Dawn: Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
Can love save them?

After her father commits a crime that shatters her family, eighteen-year-old Delaney Cross is tired of pretending everything is alright. Packing up her car, she sets out to find the people her father hurt. Her search leads her to places she's never been--and into the arms of Adrian Westfall.

To the outside world, Adrian is a sexy, charming ladies man. But his playboy persona is just an act. Secretly his soul is tortured by a memory too painful to share. Only Delaney seems to see through his façade to the real man underneath. And for the first time in his life, Adrian feels he can begin to open up about his past.

Together, Adrian and Delaney share a passionate, carefree love they never expected to find. Yet both still harbor their own secrets. When the dark truth is finally revealed, will it bring them closer together, or tear them apart forever?

My $0.02

Ever since I first read Nyrae Dawn’s What A Boy Wants, I’ve been a fan for life. Almost everything she’s written, I’ve read. There’s something so addicting about her writing that never fails to pull me in every time, it’s so all-consuming; I can never get enough. With Façade, she did it yet again. She pulled me in, made me fall in love with her characters, wrung every emotion from me, broke me down, and put me back together. I flew through Façade in a quickness. It’s almost a double-edged sword, that sentence. I’ve been waiting forever for Façade and I really wanted to savor every amazing thing about it, I wanted to take my sweet time, but as soon as Dawn pulled me in, I couldn’t help myself, no matter how much I wanted to go slow and steady. This just goes to show how brilliant and mind-blowing Nyrae Dawn and Façade are. But now, I’m bummed out of my mind because all I want is to go back and read it all over again… for the very first time.

Façade is so sweet and precious, it’s a slow burn that you don’t realize until it already hit you. It was only after I turned that last page and everything was going through my head that I began to lose it. All these emotions came at me that I just sat there and cried and cried. I was so overwhelmed with the feels that I’m stunned at how much Façade hit me. While I was reading it, everything happened so fast that all I wanted to do was read faster so I could find out how it would all resolve but after… oh my gosh! And for that, I applaud Nyrae Dawn. You did amazing—no, you did more than amazing—with Façade. I saw you mention a few times that Adrian killed you when you were writing him and I have to say, Adrian killed me (over and over and over again) while I was reading him. There were numerous times when I was shocked, surprised, stunned, speechless, dumbfounded that I just couldn’t believe any of what I was reading. Nyrae Dawn seriously exceeded my expectations in Façade and I (as fangirly and cheesy as this sounds) love her (even more) because of that.

It’s not often that I praise the heroine in a book or mention her in my reviews (so this is a big deal, sorta). I guess because I assume it’s a “no shit” kind of thing because if you read a book and don’t like the heroine, why continue reading it, right? Plus, I mean, let’s just talk about the swoon-worthy eye candy and all the good things about him. ;p Anyway, there was so many admirable traits of Delaney that I found so noteworthy and respectful that I have to point them out. I loved that she was so honest with her feelings and that she openly expressed them. I loved that she was a no-bullshit kind of gal, especially around Adrian; how she would call him out. I loved that when things got tough, she stayed strong and didn’t push or go to Adrian, no matter how much she wanted to, no matter how much she hurt. I just love how Dawn executed her character. To really summarize what it is that I’m in awe of about Delaney, here’s a quote that puts it together perfectly:

“It’s been two weeks since he left the apple and I haven’t heard a word from him since. Which is okay. He has a lot to work through and I want him to do it. I’d like nothing more than for us to find our way back to each other. To be able to hold him again, but what’s more important is that he finds a way to be okay. And that I make sure I’m okay on my own too.”

Overall, I love her big heart and how sincere and genuine she is. I love that she puts others before herself. Even when she’s hurting, she wants others to be okay. Throughout the book, there were many times when she just wanted Adrian to be okay—those moments tugged at my heartstrings, no joke.

Speaking of Adrian, I have no words for him. I am a huge fan of the… scratch that. I’m a huge fan of any of Nyrae Dawn’s male characters. Seriously. Every single one of them, in all of her books, is hard to not love. For Adrian, I love how there was so much life and love in him. Despite the hand he was dealt in life, he too, had the biggest heart. Every little thing that was hurting him hurt me. I wanted to crawl inside the pages and just hold him but it was even better when Delaney was there to do it for me (because you know, if not me, it better be her ;p). Also, I loved to pieces his writing (major cool points for Dawn for giving him this trait). The first glimpse I got of it got me so giddy and excited that I fell knee-deep in head over heels love with him.

“Space,
I asked.
She agreed.
It wasn’t what caught my attention.
Her eyes.
Me too,
They seemed to say,
I need space too.”

Like, come on! Who wouldn’t fall in love with someone who put his thoughts and feelings onto paper? It’s so romantic that this places Adrian Westfall way up there on my favorite book boyfriends list.

Like I mentioned earlier, after I finished Façade, I was bombarded with all these crazy feelings that I didn’t know what else to do but write them down in the hopes that I would get them all out to share with all of you because I can’t hold it in how amazing and brilliant this book is. It’s not often that a five-star book comes along, one that captures you entirely that at the end you’re wondering, “Why am I crying? I don’t even know…” So, I mean it for reals when I say, pick up this book, you’ll love it! It’s definitely going to be one that I’ll be recommending time and time again. And when that happens, you best believe it’s because it’s a top contender in my eyes (and duh, because it’s bomb. now, go read it, ASAP)!

2 comments:

  1. I need to read this series. I have Charade in paperback and have heard it's really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have never heard about this one before!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p