Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Aug 23, 2012

Book Review: Being Jamie Baker by Kelly Oram

Being Jamie BakerTitle: Being Jamie Baker
Author: Kelly Oram
Publisher: Bluefields
Release Date: June 14th, 2010

Find Kelly Oram Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Booksite
Most superhero stories start with a meteor shower or a nasty insect bite, but mine actually starts with a kiss...

An accident that should end in tragedy instead gives seventeen-year-old Jamie Baker a slew of uncontrollable superhuman abilities.

To keep her secret safe Jamie socially exiles herself, earning the title of Rocklin High’s resident ice queen. But during a supercharged encounter with star quarterback Ryan Miller she literally kisses anonymity goodbye. Now the annoyingly irresistible Ryan will stop at nothing to melt the heart of the ice queen and find out what makes her so special.

Unfortunately, Ryan is not the only person on to her secret. Will Jamie learn to contain her unstable powers before being discovered by the media or turned into a government lab rat?

More importantly, can she throw Ryan Miller off her trail before falling in love with him?

My $0.02

I first heard about Being Jamie Baker back in late 2010, around the same time that B.O.B was created.  Immediately, I fell in love with the book trailer because, seriously, it’s one of the best trailers I’ve ever seen.  It played out like a television show and before I knew it, I was caught—hook, line, and sinker.  On top of that, the excerpt that Oram has posted on her book site just fueled my desire to read it that much more.  Now, you’re probably wondering why it took me two years to finally get to it and it was simply because I just couldn’t get my hands on a copy…without involving anything digital.  Anyway, yesterday Oram posted that she will be continuing the Jamie Baker series—without having read Being Jamie Baker when I read the post, I still got extremely excited about the news.  And that was all it took to light the fuse that was my crazy passion to want to read the book yet again.  Right after that, I went to the book site and I watched the trailer again and I read the chapter one excerpt once more.  When I finished reading the excerpt, I just couldn’t not read it; I headed straight to Amazon and purchased myself a copy.  Right when it delivered to my Kindle, I started reading it and right away, I couldn’t get enough!

My whole afternoon became dedicated to reading Being Jamie Baker.  I was instantly drawn to it like a moth is drawn to a flame.  It was totally Oram’s writing that had me under the must-keep-reading-do-not-even-think-about-doing-anything spell because it was so chill and simple and light.  Also, I loved her dialogue!  It added a whole lot to her characters and I found myself smiling like a doofus because I couldn’t relate more to Jamie and…just the way she talked—so me, lol!  Speaking of characters, I loved, loved, loved Ryan Miller!  I loved how Oram created him.  He was so carefree and optimistic and persistent and all sorts of swoon-worthy!  I couldn’t get enough page time with him.  I loved it whenever he talked, which sounds totally weird but it’s true.  He had so much charisma and attitude that I became addicted to him, constantly craving more of him!  Did I forget to state that Being Jamie Baker takes place in Sacramento, CA?  Where I practically live?  Omg, I was so shocked and now, I’m seriously going to go out and hunt down my own Ryan Miller!  Whenever a book’s setting is in the same city or town that you live in, it’s like…that much cooler and awesome because there’s this pride that just comes with it. I digress, back to the characters.  Jamie Baker—I had a love/hatedislike relationship with her.  For the most part, I really enjoyed her character but there were a few minor parts where I just wished she wasn’t so stubborn but hey, I guess that makes her character.  I did totally love how she tried so hard to resist Ryan but as the book progressed, you get to see her Great Wall of China slowly come crumbling down.

BJB had a great cast of characters that I absolutely adored.  For example, I couldn’t get enough of her parents.  They were the coolest parents ever and they were so fun and supportive yet strict and authoritative when they needed to be.  Also, I found a liking to Ryan’s friends as well.  I mean it certainly took a while—a long while—to warm up to them and eventually like them but they came around.  And they totally reminded me of Landon’s friends in A Walk to Remember, how they didn’t understand why Ryan was into Jamie and why he wanted to hang out with her when she was clearly the school freak.

I found the storyline in Being Jamie Baker a bit lacking just in that some parts of it didn’t make much sense to me, such as how Jamie got her superpowers.  I mean, it was explained but not clear enough.  Also, the thing with her hair color and eyes I didn’t get much but I just went with it and plus, it seemed cool.  The one thing that I enjoyed a whole lot and absolutely couldn’t get enough of was Ryan’s persistent attitude to get Jamie.  From page one, Oram gets the ball rolling and I was so intrigued in the way he went about getting her attention that I was glued to the pages like PB&J to bread.  They were so adorable with each other that at one point during my reading, I stopped to say, “This book is so f’ing cute!”  Ryan wanted Jamie so bad and she kept holding out—the chase was what was so cute but I mean, Ryan’s so charming; of course you’d give into him!

I loved BJB so bad that I constantly kept checking to see how far along I was because I didn’t want it to ever end.  I remember being around 19%, 26%, and 30%, thinking, “Yes, I’m only at so-and-so percent!  I still have a lot more to go!”  I mean, early on, a bunch of stuff already began to happen that I didn’t know what else was going to occur but being less than fifty percent into the book, I knew more events were going to unfold so it definitely kept me on my toes!  As the end came into sight, I didn’t know what else to expect so I was quite a bit shocked to see what was revealed and then it finally hit me as to what the big problem was and what the solution to that problem was going to be.  BJB ended with a bang that left a resounding echo that I know will become a big boom once book two releases!

Being Jamie Baker was a really fun and happy and entertaining read!  I was squirming and squeeing and swooning all over and there was a constant ear-to-ear smile plastered on my face the whole time I was reading!  I definitely got tingles and goose bumps quite a few times as well so BJB is totally going on my Favorites Shelf!  Also, I fell heels over head for Ryan Miller so book two, can ya hurry up?!  Pretty please?  I needs you now!

Links to purchase Being Jamie Baker: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I want this one, too! Did you find it anywhere NOT as an ebook? I'd really love to read it, sounds so fun and can't wait to read about Jamie and Ryan!!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I loved this book! So exited to know there will be a book two! UHUUUUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, you sold me! *downloads on nook*
    Just got it on my nook!! I hope I can start it soon!!
    It sounds very good!!!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds amazing, and hearing your raving opinion of it just makes me really excited for this book. As long as there is a swoon-worthy character like Ryan, count me in!

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review! I haven't heard of this one yet, but it sounds pretty good. I'll have to check out more information on it. Your review definitely has me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p