Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jul 12, 2011

Book Review: Angel Burn

Angel Burn (Angel Trilogy, #1)Title: Angel Burn
Author: L. A. Weatherly
Publisher: Candlewick Press (May 24th 2011)
Genre: Paranormal Romance/ Young Adult
Series: Angel Trilogy #1
Pages: 464
Source: Purchased

Find L.A. Weatherly online: Twitter | Website

Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil. In the first book in an action-packed, romantic trilogy, L..A. Weatherly sends readers on a thrill-ride of a road trip - and depicts the human race at the brink of a future as catastrophic as it is deceptively beautiful.

They’re out for your soul . . . and they don’t have heaven in mind.
 
My $0.02
ZOMG, I just finished Angel Burn three minutes ago and it is fanfreakingtastic!  Wow!  L.A. Weatherly establishes such a refreshing, new, and different twist to angel mythology—nothing like I’ve ever read before!  Quite frankly, the angels in this series scare the beejeezus out of me!  Such a different take on angels; to convey them in this way…was brilliant!
My sister read Angel Burn faster than you could say, “WHAT?! In one day?!” LOL, and after she finished it, she raved about it and praised it for days!  She told me that I had to read it immediately!  So because of her high praise, I was uber excited to start reading it!  By the fourth chapter, I was anxiously turning the pages; stunned at the world that Weatherly established!
In Angel Burn, the characteristics that I discovered about the angels were so unlike any I’ve ever read.  These angels feed off humans to survive; sucking the life force out of the humans and the consequence of that is cancer, diseases, illnesses, etc.  This process is known as angel burn, hence the title of the book.  The plot of Angel Burn made perfect sense!  Also, the storyline is very unique and superb!  I found myself thinking, “Wow, how does one come up with a storyline like this?!” You must read it to understand what I’m saying.
The MC in Angel Burn is Willow Fields.  She has such a realistic personality.  Willow isn’t a tough heroine; she isn’t kick-ass, and she doesn’t have one of those quirky and witty attitudes.  BUT, she has such a big heart and I love how she isn’t such a girlie-girlie!  I had said that she wasn’t tough…not tough like I’m going to kick your butt tough, but she is tough in her own way and very strong-willed. From the first chapter, her world is turned upside down and I found myself wondering what was going to happen to her just like she was.
Alex Kylar—the Angel Killer, the assassin.  NOTE: Be ready to add him to your Fictional Boyfriends list as well!  He’s just your normal, typical teenager—minus the fact that he is the very best at what he does, which is hunt down and kill angels!  Woot, talk about hotness right there!  This is my little squeal moment.  Ok, so he has this tattoo on his arm (can’t remember if it’s his left arm or right arm) of the letters AK.  I don’t know about you, but tats on a guy are major points of hotness for me!  He hunts down angels and kills them before they get the chance to feed off humans.  He has a past that haunts him every day and because of that past, he is very guarded and careful about whom he comes to love.
And that leads me to Alex and Willow’s relationship.  Oh my goodness!  I especially love how Weatherly builds their relationship; all the time they spend together becomes memories.  I also loved how they were both unsure of how the other person felt about them.  It wasn’t just straight up, I love him and I know he loves me.  I’ve got to say, my most favorite chapter was the very last chapter.  I don’t know, maybe because I finished it at three in the morning…or maybe it’s because I am sleep deprived.  But all the emotions between those two lovebirds hit me real hard in that last chapter and I felt every word and every emotion; every stare between them two, all of it was incredibly strong.

One more person that my heart just goes out to is Willow’s mom.  I love Willow just that much more; the way she cares and worries for her mom just touches my heart!  There’s not much that we see of her mom, but the way that Weatherly expresses Willow’s concerns and her feelings for her mom were just too real for me.  My most favorite scene that had anything to do with Willow and her mom occurred on page…well, I don’t remember exactly but the relief that flooded Willow leaked out of the pages of the book and reached me!  I felt my breath leave me and I was filled with happiness; just the same as Willow!
As I was reading Angel Burn, towards the end, I was so positive that it was going to end with a happy note and I really don’t know why I was thinking like that, seeing that Angel Burn is the first in its trilogy.  Because boy was I wrong!  It’s like one of those movies you see and you just know that there’s going to be a part two.  Yeah, that’s absolutely the case with Angel Burn.  A war of some sort is brewing and it’s going to be huge in Angel Fire, the sequel.  I am so excited to read the sequel and I cannot wait for it.
Angel Burn in one word—breathtaking.

Links to purchase Angel Burn: Amazon | Borders | Barnes & Noble

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting book! I'll have to check it out.

    I started a book blog recently, and I'm looking for other book blogs to follow. I'm glad you have an entire scroll of other book blogs. Thanks!

    http://cleanteenfiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great to see a positive relationship with a parent! Im looking forward to the rest of the book ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa.. I am definitely interested in this one.

    Alex sounds really hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, so glad you did too.
    Can NOT wait for Angel Fire!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p