Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jul 4, 2011

Original Sin Week - Author Interview: Lisa Desrochers

Photobucket


As a part of the Original Sin Week celebration, I had the honor of interviewing the awesome Lisa Desrochers!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

- Which of your books from the Personal Demons trilogy was the easiest/hardest to write?
Both Personal Demons and Original Sin wrote themselves in about six weeks each. My characters did all the heavy lifting. I was just the poorly paid help with the laptop. But, The Novel Formerly Known as Hellbent sucked my soul. I started and stopped at least three times. I have a huge file of cuts. I have POVs that didn’t make it into the final book. Wrapping up a trilogy is really tough. Really, you guys are the problem. You expect it to make sense! The nerve! ;p

Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)- Where did the inspiration come from to identify emotions of the seven deadly sins with fragrance/odors?
It was really sort of a cop out. I’d read somewhere that you should utilize all the senses in your writing. This was the easiest way I could think of to incorporate smell. Luckily for me, it worked. =) The first one I thought of was ginger for lust because ginger seemed a little exotic to me. Some of the others just came to me and with the trickier ones, I got help with from family or Tweeples. There are a few new ones that show up in Original Sin.

- Which of your characters is your favorite to write and which character came to you easier?
Luc was the first voice in my head, and the strongest throughout most of the first two books. He was very easy to write. He’s probably also my favorite. What does it say about me that I enjoy hanging out in a demon’s head?

- Which of your characters is most/least like you, and in what way(s)?
Honestly, probably Riley. She’s loyal to a fault, and I tend to be that way too.

- Is Luc soulless as he was created from the fire pits of hell? And if not, how can Lucifer grant him a soul upon his birth?
Yes, Luc is soulless. All demons are.

- Gabe is a dominion. What does it mean that if he falls, he goes to Hell instead of falling to become a mortal here on Earth?
No fallen angel can become a “mortal” per se, but a true angel is a mortal who has achieve celestial status. Gabe comes from the Second Sphere, and celestials of the higher spheres aren’t technically angels. Gabe is a Dominion, created by God. He was never of the Earth, so if he were to fall, he couldn’t return to it. He would fall the same as Lucifer and belong to Hell.

Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)- Do you read reviews of your books? If so, do you pay any attention to them, or let them influence your writing?
I don’t have time to read all my reviews. I’ll usually scan the first few lines. If it seems well thought out and constructive, whether it be positive or negative, I’ll read the whole thing. I have definitely made some changes in my writing based on constructive reviews.

- Have you ever been surprised by a controversy among fans or reviewers - for example, you created a character without thinking too much about what people would think of him, and found some readers loved him and some hated him?
I’ve been surprised by some reactions to my characters or situations. I read a comment that said Luc almost raped Frannie in Personal Demons and I’m like, whaaaaa??? I’ve also read a few reviews that thought Gabe was “creepy.” I think Gabe is amazing. He’s so conflicted, but working so hard to do the right thing. I love him soooo much, so it makes me sad when people think he’s creepy.

- I hear that you are currently working on a new WIP, could you elaborate a bit for us? Describe it in four words.
I have two WIPs, actually. One is in the revision stage with my agent, and I just finished the first draft of the second, which I love SOOO much, so we’ll go with that one. Here’s your four word description: Unconventional contemporary supernatural epicness.

- Which question(s) are you most sick of answering in interviews?
I'm really okay with answering any question. The ones that I've answered most are "Where did you get the idea for Personal Demons?" and "Do you have advice for aspiring writers?"

Thank you SO much Lisa for stopping by the blog today! Congratulations on the Original Sin release!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Check out the Original Sin book trailer!



More about the author:

[crop.jpg]
I scribe YA novels. PERSONAL DEMONS is in stores now, and the sequel, ORIGINAL SIN is due out on July 5, 2011. My omnipotent uberagent is Suzie Townsend at FinePrint Literary Management.
When I'm not writing, I'm torturing some poor unsuspecting patient, lecturing in some less-than-exotic city...or blogging...or maybe just sleeping, but that doesn't sound nearly as cool.

Find Lisa Desrochers online: Twitter | Blog | Website | Facebook

Purchase Personal Demons: Amazon | Borders | Barnes & Noble
Purchase Original Sin: Amazon | Borders | Barnes & Noble

3 comments:

  1. Six weeks! Wow, how do you write a book in 6 weeks.
    For the record: I'm Team Luc, but I could never think of Gabe as creepy. He's an angel!
    I think that's the first time I saw the trailer. It's so cool!
    Loved the interview, especially the last question ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this interview and also finding out that Lisa is working on other projects! What I want her to know is that I'd love to see the "outtakes" that didn't make it into the third book as a bit of an extra on her blog perhaps? That would be cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynsey--Maybe when bk 3 is published =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p