Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Feb 15, 2011

Book Review: Angelfire

Title: Angelfire
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books (February 15th 2011)
Genre: YA/Paranormal YA
Series: Angelfire #1
Pages: 464
Source: Won from Courtney Allison Moulton

This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.
My $0.02
First of all, are angels the IT THING right now, or what?!  There have been so many awesome angel theme books debuting and there will be plenty more releasing this year!  By the looks of it – I’d say that angels are taking over!

Angelfire . . .  *hang on, let me gather my thoughts; swooning over Will!* Moulton delivers an amazing, refreshing, and new twist to angel mythology!  Like I mentioned above, angels are making it big this year so with that every book should have this something about them that will make readers want to pick the book up! For Angelfire, forget that something and just read the book!

Angelfire opens up with an action-packed scene – throwing you right into all the action! Ellie constantly has these nightmares of her fighting reapers and every time she has these dreams, something always seems so familiar about them; as if she’s been there before.  Little does she know she’s been reincarnated over and over again because she’s an ancient warrior who has the power to wield swords of angelfire to fight the reapers! As Ellie becomes more and more aware of these reapers, she starts seeing this mysterious boy appear wherever she is.  Turns out that this mysterious boy, Will, is her guardian; sworn to protect her at all times in battle.  At first, Ellie is very stubborn and wants to continue on with her teenage life as if none of it were true.  I totally agree with her there.  I mean, if there was a bomb dropped on me like that, I’d absolutely want nothing else but normal!  Before you know it, there’s nothing but Ellie and Will fighting off reapers here and there!

I very much enjoyed how Moulton focuses so much on Ellie and Will. When you’re reading, you can just tell that there’s just so much there between them.  When Will makes his appearance into Angelfire – he seems as if he’s the one that knows everything, which in an aspect he does.  But as Ellie becomes aware of her past, it actually turns out that she’s the one with all the power. For example, Will’s tattoos *swoon* -- Ellie was the one that had the power to put them there to protect him in battle, same thing with her Khopesh swords.  Ellie and Will’s relationship – I can’t put a finger on it or rather yet find the perfect word to describe it, but all I can say is, I want more of it! It’s so bittersweet; sad, happy, OMG, and more sad. All we get to see is Ellie’s point of view, but I would really enjoy reading from Will’s point of view as well.  I can’t imagine the pain and the agony that he goes through after all those decades of protecting her!  I also love the chemistry between Ellie and Will. How from one minute they’re having this close, intimate conversation to being guarded and hard as stone.  Oh! And don’t forget all the reaper fighting in between! :)

Speaking of reapers, are they scary, ugly, and frightening or what?!  Moulton does an incredible job with all the exciting, scary action-packed scenes!  This is one book that I can really see as a movie!  And maybe because my imaginary skills suck a little – so all the action scenes being played out in front of me won’t hurt so badly!  Bastian, you should be terrified of him!  He wants to kill Ellie, but every time he gets the chance, he doesn’t.  For me, I think Bastian seemed extremely intimidating because he doesn’t really say or do much but the way how his black energy rolled off of him – that is enough to send me running!  Ellie is caught in the middle of this deadly war between the archangels and the Fallen.  Each side has their warriors and they’re all super powerful.  I can’t wait to see how this is all going to play out!

I have to say, Moulton does a tremendous job at establishing a genuine relationship between Ellie and her mom.  It felt so real to me – a lot of sadness there.  I don’t know what it was but I enjoyed every second they had together.  Also, say I if you love Kate, Ellie’s BFF (biff)?! OMG!  She’s amazing! Like I would say to my sister, “I want a best friend like her!” Just the way how she was all around!  She is exactly the kind of best friend that I would love to have!

Angelfire rocked my socks off!  Moulton had me on the edge of my . . . bed (where I read most of the book)!  There were moments when I didn’t think that they’d make it or when I didn’t think that they’d survive!  I was holding my breath at certain times; my heart almost flat line!  Overall, Angelfire is a riveting, exhilarating, and O-M-G debut! All I have left to say is #TeamJustCallMeWill! :)

4 comments:

  1. We need to start a fanclub for Angelfire! I LOVELOVELOVE this book and Will and Ellie make an amazing couple. The action scenes are expertly written and I cannot wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME review! you can tell you really enjoyed Angelfire and that makes me want to read it that much more :) thanks for sharing!

    Diana
    ps. Have i told you how great your blog is? I haven't?? Well, IT IS!! I love it! everything from the title, to the energy you put int your reviews! amazing :) The giveaways are a bonus ;)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. *HUGE SMILE* Thanks Diana! That really just made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p