Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Oct 19, 2013

Book Review: Riptides by Steph Campbell & Liz Reinhardt

Title: Riptides: A Lengths Novella (Lengths, #4.5)
Authors: Steph Campbell & Liz Reinhardt
Publisher: Self
Release date: October 13, 2013


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo

Steph Campbell's Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
Liz Reinhardt's Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
Enzo Rodriguez doesn't take much seriously--unless it involves waves, boards, or good beer.

When too-hot-to-handle Jessica Mills strolls into his life, Enzo is willing to forego all of those things for every second he can spend with her.

But Jessica has a huge secret--and when it’s revealed, it not only crushes Enzo, but has the last person he wants to ask a favor of--his brother-in-law Adam--bailing him out of jail.

Enzo is convinced that the only way to mend his bruised ego and heart, is to pack his bags and leave the turbulent waters of Silver Strand...for good.

My $0.02

To be honest, for the longest time, the Lengths series wasn’t one that sat very high up on my favorites list, not that I’m saying it was or is bad, no, no, no, never! It’s just that it was another series that I easily breezed through so I didn’t give it much thought. But after the third and fourth book released, I realized how wrong I was. It slowly occurred to me that this series was so much more. Every time the next book in the series released, I noticed that I found myself very eager and excited to get on Amazon so I could one-click. And that’s a big deal, especially because there are so many books in the series; it means that this series has been able to keep me coming back, hungrier each time!

Riptides was a whirlwind of surprises! I went into Enzo’s story fully aware of its novella status so I’m not quite sure why, especially when I look back, why I was so shocked—there were actually a few signs that I noticed but didn’t pay much attention to until… the end had already hit me in the face. Riptides is told only from Enzo’s point of view (and that should have been slight warning bells) which left me hanging a bit because I wanted to be in Jessica’s head the other half of the time. All the books in the Lengths series are written with dual points of view so I was used to being aware of everything that occurred on both sides. Without Jessica’s perspective, I felt a little lost and a little blind and I almost couldn’t connect with her. Of course, after finishing the book, a lot of things that didn’t click, clicked.

It was so, so, so… happy-happy-clap-clap (as it always is) to return to Silver Strand. Every time I open up a Lengths book, it’s like coming home. Cora Carmack stated in this interview that Campbell and Reinhardt excel at character and family and I so could not agree more. They are crazy geniuses at creating and establishing that familiarity that comes with family; they got that pat down! It’s so amazing to read how they so effortlessly intertwine all their characters from the previous books into the current one. It really reiterates that every single person has a story to tell and I think it’s so great that so many of their characters are getting to do just that.

In Riptides, you find Enzo on the outside looking in. Thus far, we’ve met Deo, Cohen, Adam, and Ryan. They’ve all had their stories told so I completely understand how Enzo was feeling like… basically, like he was all alone. That is… until he meets Jessica. At first, it’s this spark that ignites and there’s no denying the attraction and the pull to constantly want to be around each other. But the more Enzo interacted with her, the more I became very suspicious and wary. I don’t know, maybe it was the one-sided view but I didn’t and couldn’t understand her. Towards the end, bombs exploded and after the dust settled, only truths remained… and holy jaw-dropper! I so didn’t see that coming! I felt for Enzo but it only excited me more because I can’t wait to see what will be in store for him! I’m thrilled that this isn’t the last of Enzo that we’ll be seeing!

Riptides was only the beginning for Enzo Rodriguez and although, I was expecting a bit more, I am happy to say that Campbell and Reinhardt did not disappoint in delivering a story full of laughter, love, and of course, sexy times! I am so (big time) looking forward to more about Enzo and to more from the oh-so-very amazing and wonderful cast of Silver Strand!

1 comment:

  1. I have not heard of this series. Thanks for bringing to my attention. I see it took a few books to get your mojo totally turned on. That is ok. I like that you are now really into it. :) Mich

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p