Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jul 19, 2013

Book Review: Frigid by J. Lynn

Title: Frigid (Frigid, #1)
Author: J. Lynn
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Release date: July 15, 2013


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo
IndieBound | Book Depository

Connect with J. Lynn: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love.

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have.

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.

My $0.02

Jennifer L. Armentrout, in this case, J. Lynn, nailed it right on the head, once again! Though, I’m sure you all saw that coming because all her novels are worth gold. Frigid really did not disappoint and I’m a bit hesitant to say this but… I think it’s my most favorite JLA book up to date. I haven’t read much from her but I have read enough to understand that all the hype is legit. Lynn never fails to wrap the reader all up and around her characters’ lives. She’s always able to bring the humor, the angst, the turmoil, the fun, and the smexy, hot boys—goodness, JLA’s boys are the best! ;p But there’s something more than all of that that never fails to reel me in every single time and that’s the connection and relatability she’s always able to establish between her leading characters and her readers.

Let’s kick-off with Sydney Young. First of all, the girl is high-frickin’-larious, no joke! I can’t even… there were multiple times when I was laughing out loud like a dork because of something she said or did. Also, Andrea is bomb—I loved her! Their conversation in chapter one, sitting by the bar instantly did it for me. Right then, I knew I was going to love Frigid just a little more than I originally would because of their… flow. I love that Syd was such an innocent and the various scenes that we got to see her do something out of her element made her more loveable and real. I also really loved that she had her head on straight, that she had her “good” and “bad” balanced out. Because of certain circumstances, you see her come out of her shell more and more and by the time the book ends, you can’t help but give her a standing ovation.

Now, let’s talk a bit about Mister Kyler Quinn, eh? Sweet baby Jesus, can I haz him under my Christmas tree this year? I promise I’ve been nice where it doesn’t count and naughty where… it does. Haha, I’m so totes kidding. But goodness gracious, he was… I can’t even find the right word or words to describe him. He got the good looks—the eyes, the messy hair, the dimples, the smile—the humor, the personality, the body, and just… he got it all, basically. I love how his and Syd’s relationship worked, how they could go from being mad at each other to bow-chicka-bow-wow in a matter of a few awkward moments. ;p Also, he was so charismatic and charming that I was a puddle of swoon and mush the entire time; I really couldn’t help myself. I don’t know what Lynn did but thumbs up and all the A pluses in the world for creating him.

Overall, I totally and completely fell in crazy, stupid, love with Frigid. There were lots and lots of times when my insides were literally zinging from glee because of the amazing-ness that was occurring between its pages. It’s hard to pinpoint and say exactly what it is about Frigid that I absolutely adore but I guess it was the fact that Lynn was able to place me right beside Syd through it all. And because Kyler was so damn irresistible. I dare you guys to try and fight that one. ;p

The chemistry and emotions that were so palpable between Kyler and Syd strung me up so high that after I closed the book, I was all smiles. I was smiling from ear to ear so long that I noticed my nephew from out the corner of my eye staring at me as if I was psych-ward loco. Yep, Frigid is definitely going straight to the top of my Top Favorites of 2013 list, no doubt about that!

Some of my favorite quotes:

Walking into a class after it had started was worse than a zombie apocalypse to me.
- eBook: location 379

"Holy crap." My stomach tumbled over. "How much snow are they calling for?"
"Somewhere between a lot and holy fuck."

- eBook: location 1084

Too bad there wasn't a rewind button on life. I'd be pressing the hell out of that.
- eBook: location 1860

Andrea snorted. “Guys are totally stupid when it comes to unrequited love. We females pine away and keep our thighs closed for the most part when we love someone we can’t have. Guys swing their shit around at anything that has a hole, trying to forget the one they want.”
“Wow.” I laughed. “So eloquently put.”

- eBook: location 3291

Momo's Playlist:

Victoria Justice - Gold


I’ve been trying to let it go
But these butterflies I can’t ignore
Cause every time that I look at you
Know we’re really catch 22
We’ve been friends for so long but I
Need to tell you what’s on my mind
I’m sick and tired of playing games
‘Cause I know that you feel the same

I know you inside out,
So I’m asking now
Take a chance on me
How much clearer can I be?

Hey, boy, whatcha gonna do
If you want me like I want you, then man up and make your move
I’m gold, gold
You, me, good as can be, want to be more than your company
So bet your money on me
I’m gold, gold

Do I really need to spell it out?
My heart skips when you're around
I got everything that you need
So come on baby get close to me
So confused that I'm not surprised
From greater bells, and you rolled the dice
Know all your moves, don't know why I fall
Should put me out, but I want it all

5 comments:

  1. Darn no answer to yesterdays question. Loved the review. Can't wait to start reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even realized this was OUT!!! Thanks for the reminder ;) I've been waiting for Frigid a while, can't wait to read!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jennifer Armentrout so I'm glad to hear good things about this book. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some JLA!!! And Kyler!!! Dear lord, that boy!! ;) I would just love waking up to him under my Christmas tree!! Frigid was an amazing read!! Loved this post!! And your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get my hands on this one! I already have it on my kindle, and I honestly have no idea why I am waiting to pick it up! I am dying to meet Kyler...and just ahhhhh I want him! lol ;p I can't wait to see what JLA has in store in this one! :) Glad you enjoyed this!

    Awesomesauce review! :D Love the song!

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p