Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Feb 27, 2013

Book Review: Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)Title: Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release date: March 1, 2013



Connect with Miranda Kenneally: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Companion to Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker.

Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt…with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…

Note: Mature themes, sexual situations, religious discussions.
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | Kobo | IndieBound

My $0.02

Miranda Kenneally stole my heart after I read Catching Jordan. When I heard that Stealing Parker and Things I Can’t Forget were going to be companion novels to Catching Jordan, I was thrilled because I wanted more of her books. Normally, when I start a book, I always read/skim the synopsis just so I’m a bit aware of what I’ll be reading, although, sometimes that does take away the surprise factor of the story. My initial reaction to the tidbit about the “religious discussions” found in the TICF synopsis had me pausing before I played. I was a bit wary because I found that it was a heavy factor in Stealing Parker and although that also was the case in TICF, I found that it was more of a parallel factor that played in the growth of our protagonist, Kate.

Things I Can’t Forget is different from CJ and SP in that sports weren’t the main part of the storyline, not that I minded. It was about discovering that people are different and everyone will have opinions and it’s all okay. I think Kate was a great character who I could easily relate to. Her whole life, she grew up believing in God and what her church has told her but as things between her and her best friend crumble, she’s left questioning everything she’s ever known.

After graduating high school, Kate (along with Parker and Will—yay!) lands a job as a counselor at Cumberland Creek Camp. Throughout the summer, she constantly goes back and forth between what is right and what is wrong, how lying to help a friend is a blend of both. She questions everything as she realizes that there’s a fine line between being good and being bad, that not everything is as it seems. I was really able to connect with Kate when she was trying to understand everything that was… confusing. I loved that she didn’t just go with the flow, that she questioned what everything meant, why was she was doing this, how feeling a certain way was possible, etc. At this camp is where she reunites with Matt, the guy who gave her her very first kiss way back when.

I loved how they were together, how she was so forward and blunt with him, although, at times it left me feeling a little cheesy. Up until camp, Kate was a good girl who never got involved with anyone because that’s how she was raised. So the more involved her and Matt become and as their relationship progresses, the never-ending questions in Kate’s mind start to kick up a storm that leaves her reeling from all the things that don’t make sense. I loved that Matt was so supportive of her even when he didn’t understand; I loved that when he was able to tell something was wrong, he didn’t demand her to explain. They were two lost and hurt people who were just looking for a way to understand and see the light.

Things I Can’t Forget is a great coming of age story about finding yourself and belonging, about love and friendships, and about the gray matter that hides between the black and white. Kenneally definitely does it again and if you loved the first two, you have to pick this one up!

7 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard about this book, but it sounds like an interesting one! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED her first book. This sounds too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read Catching Jordan *hangs head in shame* but I hope to make time for it soon! Awesome review Momo!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! Glad that you enjoyed this. I am reading it soon for the tour too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate's journey to finding herself sounds great. I haven't read any of these, but they are all on my TBR.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so been meaning to read Miranda's books. I have the 1st two and have heard great things about them. This looks like something I'd like too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also feel in love with this series from the first book I read, which was actually Stealing Parker. I am thrilled that there's another companion novel. It's a bit disappointing that there isn't as much of a sports focus as the first two books, but that's mostly because I wouldn't read about sports otherwise. It's good to hear that there is good character development, which is what really makes or breaks a book for me. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p