Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

May 3, 2012

Book Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Point of RetreatTitle: Point of Retreat
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Createspace
Release Date: February 25th, 2012

Find Colleen Hoover Online: Twitter | Website | Facebook
A follow-up novel to Slammed, by Colleen Hoover.

Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart.

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’

My $0.02

I’ve seriously been mulling over this review all day.  I honestly don’t know what else to say besides it was amazing and if you don’t read it, you’ll be missing out on a breathtaking, one of a kind read.  But then I don’t feel like that would do the book any justice, whatsoever, so bear with me as I try my best to gather coherent thoughts and express why Point of Retreat is a book that will be hard to forget.

Slammed, the first book in this series was told from Lake’s point of view but once you start Point of Retreat (POR), Hoover switches it up and you start to see things from Will’s point of view.  I loved that Hoover did that because it gives you insight to both characters and as the reader, you grasp a better understanding of the character’s actions and their reasons for those actions.  POR continues about a year or so after Slammed ended and everything is still a little bittersweet but you can tell that the characters are slowing healing and trying to move on.  Like I mentioned various times before, Hoover’s writing is like a python that will just wrap itself around you and no matter how hard you try to escape, you absolutely just can’t because well…her writing is just that addictive.  Many times, I contemplated just missing school so I could continue reading because the way how Hoover writes makes it very hard for you to un-glue yourself from the book and just walk away.

The cast of characters expands in POR and a new character that was introduced very quickly became my favorite throughout the whole book.  She would leave you at a loss for words and various times she left some of the characters just feeling straight out dumb, lol!  Eddie is also brought back into the story and something about her just stuck with me since I first met her in Slammed.  These characters became such a close-knit family; they were so cozy and open with each other and they all loved on one another.  One thing that I thought was really cute and cool was their “Suck and Sweet” moments that they all shared together.  Also, they didn’t only do it once and that was it—it occurred throughout the book and little moments like that are what stand out to me.  Little things like that are what make the memories.

Let’s move on and talk a bit about Will Cooper.  Ladies, he is the sweetest and most adorable guy EVAR!  If you’re looking for that perfect dude—it’s him, no joke!  I really enjoyed reading from his point of view because let’s be honest, who doesn’t like being inside a guy’s head!?  To see how they think, how they react, why they act the way they do, what goes on when they’re not around girls, etc.  It’s also a total plus that he’s like…this awe-inspiring poet!  SWOON STATUS.  In Slammed you totally understand how Lake feels towards him so in POR, you get to see what she really means to him and how he feels for her.  He loves her like crazy and the things he would do for her—oh my goodness!  But soon enough, events are set into motion when someone from Will’s past makes a reappearance.  There was one scene in particular that I found really interesting—when Will was debating on whether or not he should tell Lake about ________ being in his _________.  When he was rolling through his options, I couldn’t help but wonder if he chose either one, would he have still been in the wrong?  Also made me curious if that’s how men think sometimes, haha!

Soon enough, the drama hits both the Cooper and Cohen houses and the turmoil beings.  Lake starts to question everything about their relationship—how much of it is real and what would have really happened if certain events never occurred.  Before you know it, there’s a fall-out between the two lovebirds and for this part of the book, I wanted so badly to know what was going on in Lake’s mind as well as Will’s.  They were both at a standstill and I didn’t know what was going to happen for them to overcome that hurdle.  But Will being the sweet gentleman that he is eventually finds a solution that oh man, made me squirm and squee and ooh and aah all over the place!  Seriously gave my heart palpitations!

Point of Retreat is such a delicate gem and because of its rarity, it will surely be kept in a very special place in your hearts—well, it is for me anyway.  I highly encourage everyone to try and get their hands on Slammed and Point of Retreat because after reading them, they will change you in a way that you possibly might not notice right away but just know that by the time you flip the very last page and you close the book, you won’t be the same.

Links to purchase Point of Retreat: Paperbacks: Createspace | Amazon | Ebooks: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

5 comments:

  1. Oh ma gaw!!! This review was so incredibly awesome, I freaking LOVE IT! You butterflying rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The python quote was fabulous! I love that imagery. That is exactly what a good book should do. Fantastic Momo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books sound absolutely fantastic. I have no time to read them any time soon, but they sound like books I do need to read. Great review chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These books sound soooooooooooooooooooo good. :D I must read them soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! Maybe even more than the first in the series, Slammed. I stayed up two nights in a row reading these books and they were well worth the sleep deprivation. :) It was the perfect mix of heartache, love, and hope. I loved all the characters and would have loved reading even more about Will and Lake!! I would definitely recommend this book and I look forward to reading more from Colleen Hoover!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p