Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

May 1, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (20): Slammed by Colleen Hoover


This meme is brought to you weekly by MizB over at Should Be Reading!

Anyone can play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title and the author too so other TT participants can add the book to their TBR List if they like your teaser!
My Teaser
I used to love the ocean,
Everything about her.

Her coral reefs, her white caps, her roaring waves, the rocks they lap, her pirate legends and mermaid tales, treasures lost and treasures held.

And ALL
Of her fish
In the sea.

Well, if you've ever tried navigating your sailboat through her stormy seas, you would realize that her white caps are your enemies. If you've ever tried swimming ashore when your leg gets a cramp and you just had a huge meal of In-n-Out burgers that's weighing you down, and her roaring waves are knocking the wind out of you, filling your lungs with water as you flail your arms, trying to get someone's attention, but your friends

just
wave
back at you?

And if you've ever grown up with dreams in your head about life, and how one of these days you would pirate your own ship and have your own crew and that all of the mermaids

would love
only
you?

Well, you would realize...
Like I eventually realized...
That all the good things about her?

All the beautiful?
It's not real.
It's fake.

So, you keep your ocean,
I'll take the Lake.
- ebook: 81-82%, Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Slammed
I know, I know, I know, I know! You're probably looking at me like, "Damn, she's stupid! It clearly says two lines! TWO! And here she goes, posting a whole freaking chapter!" I'm sorry but I really couldn't help myself. I'm so captivated and in love with Hoover's writing and the way how I get so lost in it that I really, really, really just had to share this chapter with all of you! Before I read Slammed, I was curious as to why it was titled that and I was curious about the cover but within a few pages, you find out what and why the cover and title are the way they are.

Slammed has to do with a lot of poetry-I know, you're probably like, "Poetry!? GAG!" But Hoover made me fall heavily in love with poetry. And this chapter I shared with you guys is a part of that poetry thingy. This scene was definitely, hands down, one of my favorite scenes! I didn't post the whole chapter because that would have gotten really long but I posted enough to get my point across. When I started reading the poem, I was quite confused (as I usually am when I read poetry) but when those last two lines hit, I was blown away! Sigh. You probably won't understand unless you've read it but omg, such a frickin' sweet moment! And if you want, you could check out my review here.

UPDATE

Colleen just tweeted me a link to check out this amazing video of a guy performing this poem and...wow! You must watch it because, seriously, you won't be the same afterwards! NO JOKE!


Aaah, I'm so in love with this that I'll probably watch it at least once a day! It's butterflying BEMAZING guys! And you guys have to read this book because...oh man, it's just woooooow!

Slammed

If you've got a Teaser Tuesday this week, link me below and I will come by and check it out...when I get released from the hellhole that is school. UGH.

Happy Tuesday and happy reading to all you lovely bookish people!






9 comments:

  1. Oh my God I love
    Every.
    Single.
    Thing.
    About this post.
    And I'm also stealing all of these pictures!!! You butterflying ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser!! Love it!! That poem...WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome teaser! I will have to check out this book! Here is my teaser: http://inbetweenbooksreviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/teaser-tuesday-timepiece-hourglass.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love your teaser!

    My TT: http://bibliophilesthoughtsonbooks.blogspot.com/2012/05/teaser-tuesday-20-xxxholic-volume-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Momo- I'm terrible with that rule too! Heehee.

    Great teaser girl! I've heard a lot of good things about this book.

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was reading this I was like O______O the whole time. That teaser was so intelligent! Must. add. book. to. TBR. now! You also earned yourself a new follower. :) Great post.

    Michelle @ The Bookish Poodle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy freaking amazeballs! I believe our conversation on Twitter summed up my feelings for this guy quite well! I have not been a fan of poetry in the past but you, Colleen, and of course Marty have all successfully changed my mind! Everything about this post is just so WOW <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that poem is incredible and that guy reading it is just WOW. I seriously need to read this book, I hadn't heard of it until now. I'm still in just total shock of how absolutely amazing that is! Thanks Momo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SLAMMED is Colleen Hoover's debut novel and she has left me practically speechless. I have never laughed or cried so hard reading a book in my entire life. I love any piece of art, whether a book, movie, poem, or song that can invoke so much emotion. I connected with all of the characters on such a deep level and that doesn't happen for me very often..and I read ALOT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p