Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Oct 7, 2012

Book Review: My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

My Favorite MistakeTitle: My Favorite Mistake
Author: Chelsea Cameron
Publisher: Self-published
Release Date: September 29th, 2012



Find Chelsea M. Cameron Online: Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome, blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bundle of bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, and even though her other roommates adore him, she wants him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been been burned before, but the fact that Taylor calls him out on his crap and has the sexiest laugh ever make him decide maybe love isn't a lost cause. They make a bet: if she can convince him she truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment--and leave her alone. The problem is, the more time they spend together, the less she hates him, and the more she moves toward love.

But when the man who holds the key to Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces and threatens to wreck everything, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.

My $0.02

I’ve been saying it everywhere but just in case you haven’t heard it yet, I’ll say it again: I love New Adult; lately, that genre has so been my thing and I just cannot get enough of it.  I know it’s still new and some people are skeptical about it and all that jazz but over on my end, I am so totally feelin’ it.  So when I ran across My Favorite Mistake, I couldn’t count down the days fast enough until I could hold that baby in my hands.  And let me tell you, it probably wasn’t even that long of a wait—maybe like a week, at the most.

My Favorite Mistake was a sweet and touching novel about two broken people who helped each other realize that the past didn’t dictate their futures.  New Adult novels seem to all have this similar element in that there’s a broken, bad boy and the sweet, my-life-is-going-somewhere girl.  Except in this case, both characters were shattered and needed some rescuing.  I absolutely enjoyed My Favorite Mistake; it was exciting and fun with a little side dish of danger and angst.  Both leading characters had a very violent past that when brought together would either result in a loud clash or a serene silence.  Or maybe even a little bit of both…

Taylor Caldwell most certainly started off her sophomore year in college with quite a loud bang.  Immediately as she moves into her dorm room with two of her friends, trouble is dropped right off at her doorstep in the form of the one and only, Hunter Zaccadelli.  From there, My Favorite Mistake takes off and off and off and it just builds into a huge crescendo that will leave you jaw-dropped.  Taylor was a very angry person; she was always mad at everything and everyone and at times, I just didn’t understand why she was so extreme.  But as the story unfolds and everything is brought to light, I didn’t blame her for one second.  Taylor was one of those girls that was very, and I mean very, capable of holding her own.  She didn’t take anyone’s BS and she called them right out on it and told them like it was…which leads to the very infamous, Hunter Zaccadelli.  Side note: he’s one of those characters that when you mention his name, it can’t just be his first name, the last name always has to follow.

Oh boy, where to start with this fellow!  I loved the character of Hunter, like so much.  He definitely made the story for me.  He was so cocky and confident and witty and funny and a whole slew of other things yet beneath that you-will-fall-for-me-no-matter-what exterior was a boy who was hurt and just needed some good lovin’.  When he meets Taylor, he’s drawn to her like a moth to a flame because she doesn’t take any of his crap.  Under the circumstances, the two of them eventually get to know each other…sort of, almost against their will.  As the story progresses, I couldn’t help but fall madly in love with how comfortable Taylor was with Hunter.  I mean, he always threw out a bunch of innuendos towards her so that barrier was quickly shattered but I mean in the sense that she was awkward and shy around him…which doesn’t sound comfortable at all but…just something about the way she was around him when their relationship grew that I just loved so hard.

Chelsea M. Cameron definitely delivered with My Favorite Mistake.  She brought in the fun and hilarious, the sweet and touching, and even the scary and dangerous.  My Favorite Mistake was all about not letting your past drown you and take you under and have you become a part of history while you were alive and still breathing.  That despite the crappy hand you were dealt, you are strong enough to rise above it and let it all go.  I seriously fell in love with Taylor and Hunter and am crossing my fingers and hoping like cray that Cameron still has more in store for those two!  If you are a fan of New Adult and are looking for that next amazing read, My Favorite Mistake should totally be calling your name by now!

Links to purchase My Favorite MistakeAmazon | Barnes & Noble

5 comments:

  1. I'm also super excited about the NA genre! And I love the amount of bad boys, haha ^^' Tattooed guitarist? Gimme. I like that it's not just a bad boy-good girl story but that both are damaged, and that Taylor seems to be pretty fierce. The plot sounds a bit similar to Beautiful Disaster, but I hope that the dynamic between the characters is different as that one didn't work for me. But from reading your review I have high hopes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds awesome!! I am really loving New Adult books too. I just finished reading 3 in a row. I need to take a breather though so I don't burn myself out on them. I definitely want to read this one. Thanks for the fab review chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta agree that this new adult genre is a growing favorite!! Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounded good so I just had to get it. I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book!!! I haven't found a book that made me laugh so much till this one... The bantering between Taylor and Hunter was amazing and real! I can NOT wait to see what the sequel holds! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p