Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Dec 31, 2011

Book Review: Wings of the Wicked

Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
Title: Wings of the Wicked
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: February 1st, 2012

Find Courtney Allison Moulton Online: Blog | Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Facebook
Life as the Preliator is harder than Ellie ever imagined.
Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven’s warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And now that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell’s strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.

She’s been warned.
Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian’s new plan to destroy Ellie’s soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian’s schemes , the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything—including herself.

She’ll be betrayed.
Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay. 
My $0.02

OHMYGOSH!  AAAHHHH!  When I finished Wings of the Wicked I was on that book high forever.  I cannot believe Courtney Allison Moulton ended the book with such a cliffhanger!  I need to know what happens next, like yesterday!

This book is one of the best things that I have ever read.  Wings of the Wicked picks up right where Angelfire leaves off and you just know you won’t be able to put it down.  Right when I opened the book, I felt this buzz within my fingertips and I just knew that I was going to be reading something magical.  By the time I got to page two, I read every paragraph, every sentence, and every word—twice.  Like they say, there’s nothing like when you read a book for the very first time so I knew that I had to take my precious time with it but it was so hard—I couldn’t stop turning the pages once I got started!  I just knew without a doubt, that I would absolutely enjoy Wings and indubitably, it did not disappoint.

It was so nice to return to Ellie and Will and their world of reaper fighting.  I was so excited; it’s really hard to explain my excitement and my giddiness—to put it into words is definitely a hard thing to do.  To open up their world again and embark on their journey surely made me happy.  Gosh, the wonders of a book.  The escape is what it’s all about; to be able to fully immerse yourself into the pages of a book is really something incredible.

I have to say, the fear that Moulton conveys in Wings is extremely real and so very raw.  In Wings, new characters are introduced, creatures scarier than Ragnuk appear, the stakes are higher, Ellie’s feelings for Will intensify—greatly…just everything is kicked up ten notches, plus one!  So with that, I was so scared for Ellie and I honestly did not know if they were going to be victorious in whatever was heading their way.

In Wings, the cast of characters expands, like a lot, and you find a liking to every single one of their stories.  Moulton, if she wanted to, could seriously do a spin-off series for every single character; characters such as Cadan, Nathaniel, Lauren, Ava, Marcus, Bastian, Merodach and Kaleno…okay, kidding maybe not those last two.  But each character had so much to them and even though you’re focusing strictly on Ellie and Will, to the sidelines of your brain, you find yourself asking the Five W (who, what, when, where and why) Questions about each character.  Well, I certainly did, at least.  Also in Wings, there were so many freakin’ jaw-dropping O. M. Gs. I didn’t see more than half of them coming.  I was shocked countless times; I just couldn’t believe what was being revealed and even afterwards, I would stop reading and think to myself, “Did that…did that seriously just go down?! Did he just say that?!”  Yeah, I was mind. blown.

Oh goodness!  Now, this is what I really wanted to talk about.  Will and Ellie, Wellie.  I have the softest spot for Will in my heart.  I don’t care how many of you say that he isn’t real.  Towards the end of Angelfire, I see where their relationship stands and where it could potentially go and not go.  In Wings, everything between the two of them is the same yet different in that it’s so intense and it’s just so sad and man, more forbidden than ever.  Ellie’s voice was so powerful when she described her heart breaking, piece by piece; I swear my heart was shattering into a billion little shards of glass as well!  Will has the whole broody, gloomy, moody, morose thing down to the core; the whole I-can’t-be-with-you-but-I-really-want-too was tearing my heart into shreds!  There were scenes that were just so sweet, yet the emotions swirling within the pages were so melancholy, my heart had a hard time dealing with it.  I wanted to cry but there was a part of me, deep inside, that was cheering nonstop and so the tears were there but I was so happy and those two emotions colliding together left me breathless.

Now I most certainly did not forget the notorious Cadan.  In Angelfire, we don’t see much of him…just enough to the point where we know that he’s the guy that Will does not want you to be around, lol.  In Wings, everything you know about him changes.  He’s not who you thought he was and he’s just got so much to him.  He’s the broken, bad boy that just wants to be loved.  You know what, Cadan come here, straight into my arms, I’ll love you long time.  He shows a different side of himself to Ellie and as it turns out, he’s not the one who you need to pull out your stabbing weapons at.  I definitely felt bad for the guy and Moulton better give him a happy ending in Angelfire #3. ;)

And all this heart-wrenching stuff wasn’t the only thing happening in Wings.  Reaper killings, hunting sessions, school, Ellie’s BFF, Kate and all her urgent issues, high school parties, prom…you know, life as a regular teenage girl was happening around this crazy mess of a life that was all Ellie’s.

Man, I swear, throughout all of Wings, Courtney Allison Moulton grabbed my emotions by the BALLLLLLS!  LOL and she did not let go, even after the book had long been finished.  If you haven’t read Angelfire, you are seriously missing out on something amazing and if you have, you absolutely cannot miss out on Wings of the Wicked.  If you do, you will be the most deprived bookworm, ever. ;)

Like they say, if there’s a book you want to read and it hasn’t been written yet, write it yourself.  Well, guess what?  Luckily for me, Courtney Allison Moulton wrote the book that I have always wanted to read.  Seriously.  Wings of the Wicked has everything that I want in a book and then some: the kick-ass heroine, who at times is vulnerable, sweet, and sad, the perfect hero to match the heroine in all ways possible, the action was done just right, the supporting characters of Wings were amazing and oh-so-entertaining, the storyline was complex, dangerous, sweet, bitter, sad, happy, comical, and overall, Wings was just extremely un-put-down-able.

Disclaimer: Courtney Allison Moulton had stated several times that Wings of the Wicked is her baby so if you so much as give it the wrong look when you walk past it in the stores, I will pull out my butt-chopping swords on you quicker than you can say rootbeer floats! ;) Don’t mess with me and this book.  Feelings…along with other stuff, will get damaged. 

Links to pre-order Wings of the WickedAmazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

9 comments:

  1. OMG. I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!I need more WILLLL <33 So glad this is an excellent sequel to Angelfirel I can't wait to read it when it's released :D Fab review <3 You've made me even more eager to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momo!

    Happy New Year, girly! I'm so happy to have met you this year. Thank you so much for your friendship.

    I wish you all the best in the coming 2012. May you continue to grow as a blogger and as a person. May you continue to read rabidly and review fearlessly.

    I look forward to more awesomeness!

    Sincerely,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED Angelfire! I'm dying to get my hands on Wings. February can't come fast enough!
    Eep! I can definitely tell you loved this. OMG, your review! I mean, not like I wasn't already jumping up and down for the release! I want that same bookish high!
    I love Will. And I think I'm gonna love him even more after reading Wings. Broken boys? <3 Caden already.
    Oh don't worry, I'll be all fangirly when I see it at the bookstore.
    Okay...my ramble is over (this is what happens when twitter is down). :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! If I thought I couldn't wait till Wings Of The Wicked comes out before reading your review I don't know what to think other than the wait for Wings Of The Wicked to come out will kill me before I actually get a chance to read it! Wicked Review Momo, I loved it! <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for more Cadan! Fell in love with him in Angelfire, even though he was only there for like 10 pages lol. Squeeeeeeee, you've got me more excited than I thought possible! I can feel your enthusiasm radiating off the screen lol, great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I haven't read Angelfire, but I may have to now. After a gushing review like that, I need to know what this is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *dies* I NEED this.
    Wait. Did you just try to steal my Cadan? *draws kopesh swords*

    Happy new year, Momo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOOOOOVVVEEE Wellie and Cadan. I so needed book 3 yesterday too. Oh, the cliffhanger!!! I can't believe this is happening.

    Rootbeer floats. Mmm.... <3 I have a feeling they'll be very in when Wings comes out.

    P.S. Everything you said in your review? AGREEMENT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p