Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 16, 2011

Book Review: The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts ClubTitle: The Lonely Hearts Club
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher: Point (December 29th 2009)
Genre: YA/Chick Lit
Series: N/A
Pages: 285
Source: Won from Books Complete Me

Love is all you need...or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...
My $0.02

First of all, I just have to say, I didn't get the cover for this book at all when I first received it. The summary for the book caught my attention, but I was a little lost on the cover. BOYOHBOY! How wrong was I?! After reading, no while reading it I kept turning back to look at the cover and I smiled everytime because within the first five pages you discover something and the cover ties it in perfectly!

This book is sooo cute! It's a story of heartbreak, friends, boys, more friends, and more boys! I got pulled so deep into the story so fast I had to tear myself away from it to get some sleep! Our MC, Penny is a very relateable (Is that a word? Too lazy to look it up! Ha!) protagonist. She speaks with a voice of my generation. From the moment I opened the first page to the moment I closed the book, I was wrapped around the truths that Eulberg stated.

Eulberg's writing is so comical and witty! I felt like I was talking to my friends! The supporting characters were so fun to read! I have to say, Diane was definitely my favorite character. She seemed to have grown the most from the beginning to the end. You literally see her transform for the better.

The guy - who I will not name - (sigh!) I don't want to name him because when I read it, I almost couldn't figure out who he was going to be. I thought he was going to pop up and surprise me, but . . . well I'll let you read! The whole storyline for this story is very true, I believe. I think we, ladies, need to unite together and see the beauty and uniqueness within us all.

This book is about finding oneself and realizing that you don't live to please anyone. Live for yourself and just be happy! This book was a quick read that I enjoyed very much! When I read books like these, Chick Lit - I always see it all play out like a movie! :) With a feel-good feeling at the end!

You want that feeling?! Read this book! *__*

5 comments:

  1. Talking about the cover, I suddenly remember The Beatles, my favorite old band. One of their album cover is almost same with what this book has

    I love the way you describe the character. I am going to put this book in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yeah that's exactly where the cover comes from! But I didn't know that until I started reading it. LOL! You can obviously tell I wasn't a Beatles fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! It was addicting! Ms. Eulberg's writing is funny, fluid, and just real, you know? I hope we get to see more of Penny in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review! Now I really want to read this book! I've always thought it looked cute but I wasn't sure if it was going to be all that good but it definitely sounds like a winner! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p