Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 1, 2011

Book Review: 13 to Life

Title: 13 to Life
Author: Shannon Delany
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (June 22nd 2010)
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal Romance
Series: 13 to Life #1
Pages: 308
Source: Purchased
Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.  It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid…
My $0.02

First of all, I just have to say that there's something about the cover of this novel that is very creepy and eerie - in a good way, of course, that set this mood for me when I read it. And of course, when you read more into the story and when you finish it, you totally understand the concept of it more. Anyway, onto my review, I have to say this was a quick read; I read most of it in one sitting.

Jessie just lost her mother in a terrible accident and then she has to be a school guide for the new guy in school, Pietr Rusakova - I mean, what could possibly be worse? When I read it, I found it kind of weird that Pietr kept coming back to Jessie - she showed him around the first couple of days, but he kept sticking around. There's nothing wrong with that, but usually when there's a new kid, you try to ditch them as soon as possible and you just hope that you don't get stuck with showing them around, or is that just me? :) And I guess that's what Jess tried to do multiple times, LOL! But, I definitely would not mind a new guy like Pietr coming to my school and start sticking around me and my friends! *__*

I really have to say that 13 to Life is definitely the intro for what's to come for this trilogy, usually the first book is just that, but it means more so for this book! Jess and Pietr's relationship doesn't get far and here's the gist of it: *a little spoilery, I think* Jessie's friend, Sarah was the one who caused Jessie's mom's demise. Jessie takes care of Sarah, Sarah likes Pietr, but Pietr likes Jessie. And for some reason, Jessie felt like she should let Sarah have him! (GASP!) I know, right?!

There's a lot of Russian culture in this novel which was a lot of fun to read! When I ran across the words da and nyet, I read them over and over again - you know, just for the sound of them. Delany does a good job at explaining what they mean in context, but I still felt the need to google them (but, I didn't, so if you know what they mean, please do share in the comments!).

This is another werewolf book, but for our MC, she doesn't discover any of this until the last 3-4 chapters of the book! Jessie and Pietr have their moments together where, as a reader, I cherished and ate every piece of it up, LOL! But, like I mentioned above, I still had the feeling of danger lurking around.

I enjoyed this novel and am definitely looking forward to reading where Jessie and Pietr's werewolf adventure will take them next!

Also, I just have to say - Pietr Rusakova, Pietr Rusakova, Pietr Rusakova! Yum! I adore the way how Delany came up with the spelling for Pietr - so unique! Mmm, speaking of yum, Max Rusakova! I hope we'll be seeing more of him in Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2) which will be out on February 15th 2011! How weird is that?! 2011! Eek! OMG! Lol!

Now, when I read I always have to listen to music so here's my mini playlist - well, I guess I shouldn't say mini because I generally only listen to 3-4 songs when I come up with a playlist of my own, and even when the author has their own playlist, I still only listen to 3-4 on there that I feel most suits the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p