Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 20, 2011

Guest Post: Katie @ Call Me Crazy



Last week, I asked a few people what was their take on book covers. Here's what Katie @ Call Me Crazy had to say! Thank you Katie

• • • • • • • • • •

Whether we like to admit it or not, we're all guilty of judging a book by its cover. It's the first thing you see on the shelf and it's what ultimately draws your attention in before you read the summary. Sometimes a cover can leave more of an impact then the actual book itself!


Take Fallen by Lauren Kate for example. I absolutely adore this cover, but didn't find myself enjoying the book. As soon as I saw this book sitting on the shelf I immediately picked it up and knew I was going to buy it even if it was about man-eating butterflies that were going to take over the world. I just had to have this amazing cover sitting on my shelf! then after I saw the sequel, Torment, and knew I was in for some more book buying. These covers do a great job of reflecting what the story is about and do a flawless job of capturing the reader's attention on the shelf.


Another thing that I absolutely love about covers is how they help you realized what books are in a series. Okay, so you're probably thinking, you can't figure out what book is in a series and what one isn't? Books I've heard of yes, but books I'm seeing for the first time, no. If I saw The Need Series sitting on a shelf with no indication of them being related I probably would have only ended up buying the first one instead of all three. I love how they all match one another and carry the same black to gold glitter color scheme. It gives the reader the thought that these books are most likely paranormal.


Unlike The Need Series, The Hunger Games Trilogy doesn't carry out the same color scheme throughout the books, yet they all flow very well together and look great! There's tons of examples out there to show how amazing the cover design of books help draw readers in and also help sales by a beautifully demanding cover. We may not like to say we judge a book by its cover, but it does play a role in what we read. A cover that stands out on a shelf over a bland and boring one will probably be picked up first, heightening the chances of the pretty one being read.

Katie

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm totally a cover judger so I agree with you that a cover is usually the deciding factor on whether you pick up the book.
    And I love all the covers that you picked to use as examples.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p