Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 16, 2011

Sunday Confessions January 16, 2011


This is a weekly meme started by Marcie over at To Read or Not To Read as a way to get to share a bit about myself and also learning more about you. Sometimes it's about books and book related topics and sometimes it's not. This is all in good fun and I would love it if you would participate.

Today's Topic:
To Spoil or Not To Spoil.

I had to do this week's post! I cannot, and I mean CANabsolutelyNOT stand spoilers to any extent - besides what's already given to me in the book synopsis. If you jump over to Marcie's blog real quick to read her post, I agree with her when she says that she doesn't read reviews of books that she hasn't read yet. I am exactly the same way. I mean, I'll skim over real quick, but I don't want to catch anything. And like Marcie said, you can only really read a book once. After I read the book, then I'll read other people's reviews to see what they thought of it, but hardly do I ever read them before I read the book myself. One reason being, I don't want any kind of thoughts floating in my mind when I'm reading the book because it has an uncontrollable influence over me, whether I want it to or not. For example, if my nephew's reading a book, he'll ask me, "But can I tell you something?!" My immediate response, "NO!" "But it doesn't really have anything to do with the book!" My answer still remains no because I don't even want to know your feelings about the book until after I read it [Uncontrollable influence]. The second reason being, it might and could possibly ruin the beginning of a book for me. Like if you mention just slightly about something that occurs later on in the book or if you mention someone that appears again later in the book - in a big way - then when I'm starting out the book and I catch that person's name, I kind of already have a clue, or know that they'll be in the book at the end.

Was that too confusing? Anyway, I hope you get my point. I don't like spoilers and I try not to include them in my reviews, and if I think I am then I'll mention that what I'm posting could potentially be spoilery. My sister-in-law and her son (said nephew!) don't understand why I can't stand spoilers. But kind of think of it this way, it's almost kind of like having a vision of how you're going to die then coming back to the present to live life up until you die. A little dramatic, I know! But book wise, it's like flipping to the very last page to see how it ends, then flipping right back to the beginning to continue reading the book anyway.

Okay, I think I droned on long enough! So, now you - to spoil or not to spoil? :)

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I hate to be spoiled, I don't even like reading the back cover sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never want something spoiled ever...even goodreads slips up sometimes, and that makes me so mad! Great topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear this a lot from readers, so I've even gone to the lengths of editing the book synopsis if I think it's too revealing!

    By the way, you won an award over on my blog if you want to pick it up! http://whosayscriticsarebad.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p