Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 2, 2013

Book Review: A Dance with Darkness by Courtney Allison Moulton

Title: A Dance with Darkness
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release date: January 2, 2013



Find Courtney Allison Moulton online: Blog | Website | TwitterFacebook

There were shadows in this alley that no light touched, and where there was no light, anything could hide.

At the end of the fourteenth century, angelic reapers struggle to defend London against a legion of the demonic who have their sights set on claiming human souls and ancient relics for a dark purpose. Madeleine, a young but powerful warrior, is duty-bound to fight the demonic, and she lives for this pursuit above all else. Then, on a routine night of tracking, she is ambushed by a cadre of reapers and, though she defeats them all, she is left wounded and at the mercy of their lord, the notorious Bastian.

Madeleine is astonished when Bastian lets her live. She goes deeper into the world of the demonic and is shocked to meet him again-this powerful reaper whose touch makes her restless and gives her a thrill unlike anything else. When they fall into a dangerous clandestine affair, her head and her heart must wage their war: can their love overcome his demonic nature? Will her dance with darkness burn her or bring Bastian into the light?

With scorching romance and fantastic action, this original novella is a prequel to Courtney Allison Moulton's gripping and epic Angelfire series.
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iTunes | eBooks.com | Amazon UK

My $0.02

It’s no surprise how big of a fan I am of Courtney Allison Moulton’s (CAM) Angelfire trilogy so I was more than thrilled when I found out there was going to be a prequel novella about Madeleine and Bastian. I mean, Bastian—one of the biggest villains in the whole series. I couldn’t wait to read more about him in general. I also couldn’t wait to read about Madeleine, to get to know more about her, seeing that she’s… you know… kind of a very important part of someone very important in the Angelfire series.

A Dance with Darkness (ADWD) was such an interesting and informative read, if that makes any sense. It gives you more background information into the world where Angelfire takes place and after reading it, a whole lot of everything started to make that much more sense. I loved every second of it and I totally devoured the thing in one sitting. From the second I started, I became so intrigued because I just wanted to know more and more about Madeleine and Bastian’s relationship; how it came to be, why it came to be, how it ended, what caused it to end, and before I knew it, a bunch of other questions started swirling around in my brain that I couldn’t put it down until I found out all its dirty little secrets.

A Dance with Darkness takes place centuries and centuries before Angelfire and it revolves around Madeleine—for those of you who have read the series, you know who she is and for those of you who haven’t, well… let’s just say she plays a big role. Madeleine is an angelic reaper who hunts the demonic. In the middle of one of these hunts, she runs across the oh so infamous, Bastian—one of the baddest and strongest demonic reapers. Instantly, she’s drawn to him because he’s known for being merciless yet he spared her life. I loved seeing their relationship grow mostly because I was so curious about Bastian. In Angelfire, he’s mean and evil and scary, but in A Dance with Darkness you see him in a different light and it kind of changes how you feel about him. As always, CAM’s writing is so descriptive that you don’t miss a beat in any of the action. I especially enjoyed the chemistry that she captured between Madeleine and Bastian; my kindle was literally on fire!

In ADWD, the battle between good versus evil is ever present and I love that there’s not really a clear line when it comes to the world of reapers. Depending on which sideline you’re on, either one of you could be good or evil. You see Bastian struggle with this tug-of-war a lot throughout ADWD; he has a good heart but his choices pull him the other way and because of that you can’t help but root for him and hope that he’ll come through the other end as a hero instead of a villain. Overall, ADWD was a joyride that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end. I can’t get enough of this world that CAM created and I only wish that she could explore more and more of it because she does such a perfect job at pulling me in every time!

2 comments:

  1. With all the raving you've been doing about this series, I'm mad at myself for not trying it out yet. I will get to it this year, I hope!!! LOL

    I love prequels and learning more about villans and how they became that they are today. Gotta check this out!

    Vivian
    Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHhh I forgot this came out! Bad bad Teresa *scurries to amazon*

    Glad to hear its awesome and i cannot wait to read this is learn more about the bad guy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p