Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 3, 2013

Always Be A Unicorn



Guys, it's 2013.

2012 was a year of many hurdles and life changing decisions for me and I'm still trying to make sense of what being an adult really means but for some reason, I feel like 2013 will be the year where I can breathe just a little bit easier than the last. I feel like the slate has been wiped clean and everything is starting off with a brand new fresh start. I don't know what it is but I feel like 2013 will really be the year for me. I know, it's so cheesy to say that because everyone hopes for it and everyone says it but there's something in the air that's telling me that this year lots of things will be happening for me. How weird is that, eh? Hah, I'm probably dumb for just saying it but... well, we shall see, huh?

Speaking of a brand new fresh start, things around Books Over Boys will be coming to a halt. After February (my last blog tour stop), I'll be pulling down my blog indefinitely. I don't want to lose my URL but I also don't want to keep my blog up either so hopefully there's a way to do both.

In my two years of blogging, I've begun to question a lot of all of this. In the end, I've come to conclude that I need to step back from blogging and quite possibly even twitter and just read. I've really missed when reading was simply just reading. Little did I know how much that sentence would change when it came to blogging. In these 730+ days, it has occurred to me that maybe blogging isn't for me. I am such a bad and sucky blogger and the politics of it has really messed with my head. Some days, I try to remind myself that I blog because I love to read but sometimes even that gets blurred.

Towards the end of last year, I found blogging to be a chore: I would dread getting on the computer, I would dread checking my emails, I would dread logging onto blogger. In my way of temporarily escaping all of that, I sunk deeper and deeper into my reading. I read like crazy, a new book every night. But you see, the double edge sword in that is the more you read, the more reviews you have to write. And in the midst of all of that, there's the word: have. I get that I don't have to do anything I don't want to but there's this guilt that eats away at me when I read a book and I don't write a review for it.

Reviews, oh how they are the death of me. I think I might just be too hard on myself for when I write them and I'm probably way to over analytical but they're so hard for me to write. Like, I'll be in the middle of writing one and out of nowhere, these questions start flying at me questioning if I'm writing it correctly or if my structure is okay. I also struggle with whether or not I get my feelings about the novel across instead of just re-summarizing the book for all of you. Also, every time I write them, all of my reviews sound the same to me. Hence, I suck. But you know, it's alright, lol. Before, when I was a relatively newbie, writing reviews came so easy but like I mentioned earlier, the politics and dos-and-don'ts of blogging have really made themselves at home in my head.

Blogging is really a one of a kind thing. It has opened my eyes to so many new things that I'll always be grateful and I'll miss it dearly because it's become like my third arm but if I don't step back now, I'll probably end up hating it and I don't want to come upon that doorstep. I'm not sure if Books Over Boys will be coming back; as of now, it's up in the air. I just want to take a step back and not have to worry about any of it and just go back to my love of reading at its purest. I just want to be able to read book after book with no strings attached, so to speak. I'll always be looking for new reads and that's where twitter will be coming in.

Twitter is so instantaneous that it's seriously insane. I am so hooked on it that it's going to be really hard to try and cut this habit but try I will. In a way, I guess this could be my new year's resolution: to cut back on the twittering. Hah, this probably makes no sense because I said twitter's where I'll be going to for new reads and I will but at the same time, I don't want to be on it so much anymore. I don't know. I just feel like I need to take a step back from this whole other world of books. Everything and everyone.

I'll miss all of you dearly and thank you so, so, so, so much for following and reading Books Over Boys. Oh how far we've come, you and I.

Happy 2013 and here's to many, many, many new and amazing books!

11 comments:

  1. You will missed so very very much. I wish you the best regardless of what you choose. Live your life for you. It's YOUR life. Enjoy it as much as you can.

    XOXO

    ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you faced some obstacles in 2012 :/ Will miss your updates but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I can totally relate with the blogging feeling like a chore thing some times ESPECIALLY reviews. I wish you all the best and may 2013 bring you extreme happiness and everything you desire :) Good luck!

    Kaina @ These Flying Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already really sad!! DON'T LEAVE ME COMPLETELY!!!! I understand completely your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss you Momo, but I will still stalk you on twitter! I will miss your fun reviews and posts, but I understand that you need to do this for you!! Much love babe!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* I am so going to miss you!!! But I completely understand! Reading should be fun and if blogging makes its not fun then it is time to take a break! Just so you know, your blog was one that made me decide to join the blogging community and I will always be thankful for that and I am so glad to have "met" you! Best of luck in 2013, I wish you all the best!!! *more hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Momo, you have been such an inspiration and you will be greatly missed! I hope that reading will be fun for you again! I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss you, but you deserve a break...and to read for the sheer pleasure of it. Enjoy, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, this is sad, as Books Over Boys is one of those blogs us newbies look up to! I understand how you feel though, the pressure becomes quite a lot, the reviews, the tag backs, the memes leave time for little else, my writing suffers terribly because I always have something scheduled or something or rather on.
    Good luck with everything, you'll be missed a great deal! =D
    Best of luck and happiness for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Momo! I am so going to miss you!! *hugs* I do understand completely where you are coming from, and I am so sorry that it isn't as fun as it used to be! Maybe a break is much needed and hopefully it'll help you! I do hope so! I hope it doesn't become a chore for me either. But your blog is and always has been amazing. You were one of the first blogs I stumbled upon, which opened me up to this book blogging world. I'm so glad I have got to met you, er, or meet you over the internet :) ha ha Anyways, I hope you re-find your love of reading and that, maybe one day, you will be back!! *high fives* Thanks for everything Momo! Find and read some amazing books this year!!

    See you around on twitter, but not too much, okay!! ha ha :D

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Momo! I had no idea! You will totally be missed but you have to enjoy it or it just isn't worth it. I hope you don't disappear from Twitter totally, though if you feel the need to I totally understand.


    Hope you have an awesome 2013 and read a million and one books that you fall in love with. You should be able to read and love it and not have to feel guilty for each and every book you read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p