Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Nov 7, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger GamesTitle: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Release Date: December 14th, 2009
Pages: Hardcover - 374 | Paperback - 374
Source: Checked out from school library

Find Suzanne Collins Online: Website

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


My $0.02

I don’t even know what to say right now. The Hunger Games was definitely…something. I can’t say that I loooooooved it but I certainly did enjoy it. It was something like I’ve never read before. You know that feeling you get after you finish a book? That feeling that just consumes your entire being and you don’t know how to think or function for at least a day? Yeah, that didn’t happen for me with The Hunger Games. I’m not saying that it wasn’t a brilliant book…it just didn’t stun me and leave me breathless. For me, it was lacking one of the things that every book needs to have for me to continue through with it and it was a love story. I know, I know this is only the first book but I’m going on blind faith here and I am continuing on with the story because of what everyone has said about it.

Like I said, I did enjoy it. I absolutely loved Katniss, the girl on fire. She radiated girl power throughout the whole book. A lot of the time, I’m you know, being the love sucker that I am, rooting for this guy or that guy but this has got to be the first book where I’m Team [INSERT LEADING FEMALE’S NAME HERE], lol, in this case, Team Katniss. From the beginning to the end of the book, she’s on her own – fending for herself, killing for herself, looking out for herself, and she was i n d e p e n d e n t. She was not relying on anyone to get her through the day and because of that, she was a total BAMF. She’s rebellious and she totally does not agree with THE Capitol but in order to survive, she just goes with it. I don’t know…I’m a weakling. If that was me, I’d drop dead, lol! Katniss Everdeen is the girl that does not need a man to save her when she’s in distress. ;) Girl power all the way, I tell ya!

The Hunger Games – the actual games, was without a doubt, entertaining to read. I mean, it was totally scary most of the time but it kept me on my toes, always wondering when Katniss was going to have her first kill or when she was going to run into Peeta or…and it goes on. The arena where the games were set was totally messing with my head and after reading it, I’ve come to conclude that for all I know, it was all just an illusion. ;) I mean, it seems like they’re set so far into the future that an illusion of everything could have been a real possibility. I’m probably going crazy here, haha! This book definitely makes you think and question a lot of things…well; it did for me at least. It was so epic and full of adventure; Collins did an excellent job at storytelling. The imagination of this story goes beyond me! There were lots of parts where there was no dialogue and I guess that would have to be my only other complaint. I like dialogue, it keeps the story going and because of the circumstances of the plot, there was not a lot of that and so it left me bored with a lot of the scenes.

Peeta Mellark and Gale Hawthorne. Hmm. I’m not sure what I think of them so far. They’ve both got somethin’ appealing about them but I’m not sure if I’m hooked yet. Gale is like that best guy friend that’s got all the girls after him, but between the two of you, you guys are just friends. ACTUALLY, that’s exactly what Gale is, lol! Peeta Mellark, hmmm. After I was about 2-3 chapters into the book, I asked twitter whether or not they were Team Gale or Peeta and majority of the people were on Peeta’s side…but to me, I was not into him as much as I was into Gale. HA! Peeta seemed…*don’t pull out your pitchforks on me* weak and incompetent and incapable. *cringes* I know, it’s only the first book but I’m just sayin’ that’s how he came across to me. I don’t know, then again, I’m probably being hostile towards both of them because I don’t want to get overly involved with the possibility of a love triangle or whatever…because according to lots of people, it doesn’t bid well for…well, I don’t know. But that’s what I have to say about those two.

Overall, The Hunger Games was something of a read for me. I’m still trying to fit the puzzle of my feelings together and see exactly where I stand. Like, I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it. I just liked it. Certainly, the storyline and the plot of the story is terrific, awesome, one-of-a-kind, but something about it…didn’t stick out to me. And it’s bumming me out that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. But then again something about the little things that happened in the book has gripped me so hard...that I can't let those feelings go either. Argh, I'm so conflicted. For sure, I'll continue on with the series and who knows, maybe my scattered feelings and thoughts will shift into place but for now...I just...don't know. Remember how I said that I couldn't get into dystopian novels? Well, maybe they just aren't for me.


Links to purchase The Hunger Games: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

8 comments:

  1. I had trouble figuring out my feelings about the first book as well. But after I read the second, and then the third, it became one of my absolute favorite book series. The first isn't my favorite, but it definitely gets better!! A lot better. And there is some romance as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah see that's why I'm going to continue with the series. It's a great story...so everyone says. My sister-in-law said to me, before I started reading, "Remember no matter what, keep reading." Scared me a bit, but I'm still going to read the series, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throughout the book my full attention was on Katniss, which is strange considering love triangles usually suck me in.

    I'm with you on Gale. Peeta is too puppy-love for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was one of the few readers who waited and waited to read this series. I just didn't understand all of the hype on them. Then I finally caved and OMFG! The first book was the setup I guess. It gets you interested and thinking. In my opinion, the second was the best of the three. So keep on reading! Oh and btw...TEAM PEETA! Trust me....PEETA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I was left a huge tangle of emotions too. But, trust me, you HAVE to read on. If you don't, none of those feelings go. And the books just get better. This series is one of my favourites, the one all are compared to now!
    Great review, and I hope you love the next two books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! you reviewed it.. I have seen you updating twitter about it.. so I was anxious to see your final take..

    It's okay that you just liked it.... I happen to love Dystopian books, so this book blew me away. I did read it a while back.. before there was all the hype. So maybe that helped.. because I wasn't expecting it to be great. Infact, my friend forced me to read it, so I wasn't really expecting much from it..:)

    Now... a tidbit for you... another friend of mine that read it, loved it and told me that the Indigo Girls, Kid Fears... is so Katniss' song. I have listened to it.. I does fit pretty well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if you can't read Dystopians we can't be friends. BAHAH jk. But I LOVEEED Huger Games, probably more than is healthy. So I'm always bummed when someone else doesn't love it as much as I do :( Read Catching Fire!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a hard time figuring out what I thought about it too, but I really did love it. I think the fact that there is ACTUALLY an unapologetically strong, female main character is just too much for me not to love. I'm not a fan of the love-triangle aspect of these books, but they certainly bring up a lot of ideas that are great for discussion! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p