Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Apr 1, 2013

Book Review: REAL by Katy Evans

REALTitle: REAL
Author: Katy Evans
Publisher: Self-published
Release date: April 9, 2013



Connect with Katy Evans: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.

He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .

But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.

I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.

If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?
--

Book #1 of The Real Series
Mature New Adult/Adult Contemporary Romance - recommended for ages 18 and up.

My $0.02

I know I’ve probably said this about a million times or so but I so seriously mean it a whole lot when I say REAL is unlike anything I’ve ever read before. Reading it was a crazy whirlwind of hot and steamy with a load of frustration backing it up. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I opened up that first page; I thought… well, I don’t really know what I thought but what I received definitely left me jaw-dropped big time. During my reading, I bounced back and forth between liking it to loving it to disliking it to not understanding a bit of it, multiple times. After reading it though, I’ve come to conclude that it’s one of those where nothing makes sense until the very end. After the puzzle pieces comes together, you realize why this happened in that scene or why this was said or why that was done and then you slowly start to understand how perfect it all is.

I’m still a little conflicted by how I feel about REAL, I’ve had some time to sit and think on this one and I’m not sure if I just like it or if I absolutely love it to a thousand pieces and back. Part of this confliction is because of our leading male, Remington Tate. He’s got to be one of the most confusing and mysterious literary male characters I’ve ever read about, haha. And I don’t know if that says a lot or not but… that’s how I feel. There was so much that I couldn’t wrap my mind around and I felt like our leading female, Brooke, was in her own world sometimes. I felt like everything she was feeling was all one-sided and I couldn’t understand how she started to feel certain things when Remy seemed so… aloof and unresponsive. Even though I was feeling like this, there was still so much that I loved in between all the one-sidedness and aloofness.

Like it states in the synopsis, “Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life,” and that couldn’t be more true so when certain scenes were taking place between him and Brooke, I was left reeling from all the swooning I couldn’t hold myself back from. It’s like this one big contradiction that makes no sense at all but it just somehow works. Brooke Dumas—she’s one smart and headstrong chick, although at times, I felt like she was a female in heat, no joke. I admire how independent she was and how capable she was of taking care of things. When she first sees Remy, she doesn’t quite get the appeal but after their first introduction, she’s caught up in him—hook, line, and sinker and she just can’t get enough. The more time she spends with him, the more she realizes that there’s so much more to him than meets the eye, that there are tons and tons of layers to him that no one really knows about. As things start to unravel, she’s left grasping at things that she doesn’t understand and then… boom!

Remington “Riptide” Tate. Have I mentioned he’s confusing? Because… that’s how he left me feeling every time he had some page time. The man is totally somethin’ else. He’s so complex and there’s so much to him that I didn’t quite know what to make of it all. Like I mentioned above, I felt like he was so aloof and when he and Brooke had any interaction, he gave so little away that I was left wondering and wanting more, as if that couldn’t be all he had to say. The one thing he definitely was was a beast, a damn sexy one at that. He was primal and raw and strong and hard and nothing but pure male yet in Brooke’s presence, he was sweet and gentle and primal and raw and soft and… sigh, just all the things, for reals. As the puzzle pieces came together and the image started to look more and more complete, I was blown off my rocker! I have to take a second to applaud Katy Evans because with that revelation, I was totally clusterfucked and mind boggled in all the best ways and all of a sudden, the first half of the book clicked and locked and the haziness went away and… what do you know? Understanding took its place.


During the first half, REAL left me confused and frustrated and shocked but as I approached the second half towards the end, it left me reeling and wanting more and more. It was such a crazy ride! Evans’ writing left nothing to the imagination and I felt every shiver, every whisper, and every caress as they occurred. Remy and Brooke’s love story is one that has to be experienced because until you do, you just won’t get it. You might end up not liking one bit of it or you might end up dying for more but either way, it will be one rollercoaster ride that you’ll never forget! Huge kudos to Evans for delivering such an original story, one that puts REAL in a limelight all its own, Remy as well, for that matter!

3 comments:

  1. I liked Rem. Brooke was the one that bothered me. I totally agree about the cat in heat comment! That’s exactly what I thought! I got kind of bores and annoyed by how many times she said how horny or wet she was. Or how many times she referred to her girl parts as sex. I don’t know why but I don’t like that word used for body parts…I still liked this book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. What's with authors calling it that? It's just weird.

      Delete
  2. I was so annoyed with the first half of this book that I just wanted to quit no joke. But I didn't cause my friend told me it was about to get good so I held on & I loved it after that. I really liked Remington he was so unique and strong and sexy that I couldn't get enough. I'm glad you liked it cause I loved this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p