Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Jan 17, 2011

Guest Post: Jaime @ Two Chicks On Books


Last week, I asked a few people what was their take on book covers. Here's what Jaime @ Two Chick On Books had to say! Thank you Jaime!

• • • • • • • • • • •

Question from Momo aka BooksOverBoys
How much influence does a book cover have on its title? Like, when you pick up a book, do you ever wonder why there's that specific image on the front, and do you think it relates to the title, in anyway? Also, how much influence do you think a cover image has over the person buying the book?

My answer

Ok so for me knowing that authors have little or no say on the cover it depends. I know some publishers just shoot random models for the covers for example in the new Omnibus editions of LJ Smiths Strange Fate series none of the models match the characters in the books. Then there’s others like Carrie Ryan’s The Forest of Hands and Teeth series where the covers go perfectly with the titles. So as for buying books here’s my answer about book cover designs.  If I know and love the author, then no it doesn't influence me to the title one bit. If it's a new author the cover might be the first thing to catch my eye but, the book description is what's going to make me buy the book. Shiny and pretty doesn't always equate to a good story.

Night World, No. 3: Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (Night World, #7-9)
See just a random model.

The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
No need to explain here cover matches title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p