Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Oct 31, 2012

YA Misfits Halloween Bloghop: Interview and Guest Post by Cait Peterson


First of all, happy Halloween! Today, I have a special guest here that will be spending the (blog) day with us as we talk about villians, candy, costumes, and Halloween! Cait Peterson and I have known each other for a while now so when she came to me about hosting her on BOB, I was thrilled and totally honored. She wrote up an awesome post about her favorite villains along with some interview questions so please give a huge round of applause and help me in welcoming Cait to Books Over Boys!

Guest Post: Villains by Cait Peterson

Villains – we love to hate them. They’re treacherous, sneaky, devious, evil… And without them, our hero would have nothing to fight against!

They come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes alone and sometimes in groups. Sometimes they’re just misunderstood, sometimes the product of a horrible event, sometimes they think they’re just trying to do what’s right. And sometimes, they’re just downright evil. But the best villains, in my opinion, are the ones that scare you to death, the ones you wouldn't want to meet in public, let alone in a dark alley somewhere.

So in honor of Hallowe’en, here’s my personal top ten favorite villains.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

10. Dracula
A list of villains isn’t complete with one of the classics, and my favorite classic villain is definitely Dracula. Not his many movie incarnations, but the original bad boy himself, from Bram Stoker’s novel. He’s devious, charming, and will stop at nothing.

His antagonist, Van Helsing, spends years trying to beat him. This isn’t a here and gone villain. Dracula is a here to STAY villain! He’s absolutely ruthless, and absolutely terrifying. So much so that he’s had movie after book after movie written about him!

You can’t beat a villain with that kind of staying power!

9. Professor Moriarty
Jared Harris as Professor Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes -  A Game of Shadows (2011) (actor)
Speaking of staying power, I always loved a villain that could not only keep the hero on their toes, but be consistently a step ahead as well. Sherlock Holmes’ great adversary Professor Moriarty is just that villain.

The scariest thing about Moriarty isn’t his ruthlessness or his lack of morals, it’s that he is just as smart as Holmes – possibly smarter. And he has no problem using that intelligence to get whatever he wants. As an arch-nemesis, he’s tough to beat!

8. Darth Vader
Oh, the original Dark Lord. You can’t talk about villains without mentioning him. There are few things scarier than a faceless bad guy. The gasping breaths, the eyeless mask. And let’s not forget James Earl Jones’ voice!

Even before the menacing revelation, “Luke, I am your father!” Vader is still the scariest thing in the galaxy! And you know what lesson we learn from him? Never piss off a guy in a mask. It’s impossible to see what they’re thinking.

7. Lord Voldemort
Oh, be still my trembling heart. A villain who inspires fear before you even mention his name! Yes, He Who Must Not Be Named is one of the greatest villains in modern literature. The new Dark Lord. Pure evil, they name is Tom Riddle. Fracturing your soul? Not evil enough. Killing puppies and small children? Yawn. Doesn’t matter the evil, Voldemort is all over it.

He’s one seriously scary dude.

6. Inspector Javert
As villainous and frightening as the Dark Lords are, there’s something about a bad guy who so fervently believes he’s on the side of right. Victor Hugo’s Inspector Javert is just that baddie. He is the Law, and the Law is not mocked! He will hunt you down and see you punished for your crimes, and then he’ll make sure you never commit a crime again!

He is a fervent believer in the black and white truth in law, and he’s unshakeable. It’s that quality that makes him truly scary, because he believes so strongly that he’s right! And when his understanding is shaken to the core, he would rather take his own life than live in a world that isn’t comprehendible anymore.

Fanatics make the scariest bad guys.

5. The Witch King
Tolkein was a master at creating really evil villains, and he had his fair share. But as nasty as Sauron is, I actually like the Witch King of Angmar better. Yup, the leader of the Nazgul, the Ring Wraiths.

I mean, just look at that face. Seriously freaky stuff.

He rides a horse, and then he rides a funky lizard thing, and then a mega creepy dragon… And the dude won’t die! At least until a girl kills him.

Yup. Way better villain than creepy stalker-eye Mr. ‘ooo, my power is all in a ring, I’ll rule the world!’ The Witch King is nobody I’d want to mess with!

4. Sephiroth
Yup, I’m hitting up a video game for number four. Because Final Fantasy’s One-Winged Angel is one of my absolute favorite baddies!

He’s hot. He’s conflicted. He’s got a huge sword and momma issues. And did I mention he’s hot?

I mean seriously. Those eyes.

Oh wait, they’re closed. Let’s see. NOW look at those eyes.

Yes, I could just post pics of Sephiroth all day. What? He’s hot! And did I mention conflicted? Because Sephiroth was once a good guy, and sometimes still is. But he’s also the baddie, and it is SUCH a good look on him.

Yup. One-Winged Angel. Hotness. Villainy. Gotta love it.

OKAY where was I? Oh yeah.

3. Smaug
Yup, I’m bouncing back to Tolkein. Because oddly enough, my top three villains are all dragons. Sort of.

Smaug is my favorite of the Tolkein baddies, and you know why? He’s SMART. The fact that he’s a dragon doesn’t hurt. But he’s fierce, knows what he wants, and is devious and strong enough to get it. I mean, he conned the dwarves out of their home! And he always knows when something of his is missing.

Yup, Smaug is a badass of the first order.

And you know what other dragon is?

2. Maur
Yup, Robin McKinley’s Maur the Black Dragon. The big baddie who’s graced the cover of every edition of the book.

Maur is big. He’s old. And he’s the baddest thing to hit Damar. It takes Aerin everything she’s got to kill him, and even when he’s dead, he’s still going strong.

It takes serious stones to destroy a kingdom as a freaking SKULL. But Maur does it. And when Aerin finally gets rid of him, he turns the place into a desert on his way out!

Now THAT’S a villain!

But who’s my all-time favorite villain, you ask? It’s funny. When Momo asked me to do a top ten, I didn’t even have to think of who my #1 is. For me, it’s no contest. I also find it fitting that even though I have nine male villains on my top ten, my favorite is a woman.

1. Maleficent
Yup. The purple-streaming baddie from Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent is everything a villain should be. Remorseless. Evil. She doesn’t care about anything, and she’ll take any excuse to do what she wants. And she has magic! And she turns into a freaking dragon!

Yes, she’s my favorite. Personally, I think Phillip should’ve run away with her, instead of Aurora.

So there you have it! My top ten favorite villains! The question is, who are yours? And a big thanks to Momo for letting me take over the Books Over Boys blog today! Happy Hallowe’en!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

BOB interviews Cait Peterson

BOB. First of all, welcome to Books Over Boys, Cait! It is such an honor to have you here! Seriously.

Aw, thanks Momo! It’s really an honor to be here. So. *rubs hands together* I hear you have some halloweeny type questions for me? Yes? Let’s do this thing!

Q. What’s your most favorite thing about Halloween?

Ah, that might take a while. Halloween is actually one of my favorite holidays, but it’s more because of the history of it. Oh, I love the dressing up and the candy and all that, but I’m a mythology nut first and foremost. Did you know Hallowe’en, or All Hallow’s Eve, used to be the end of the year? It comes from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain that celebrated the end of the harvest and the start of the coming winter.

The Celts and the Gael’s believed that the boundaries that separated the living and the dead kind of thinned out and overlapped on the Day of the Dead. They held bonfires and dressed up in masks and costumes to hide from and confuse the wandering spirits. Pretty cool, huh? Yeah, I know, I’m a dork.

Q. How about your most favorite candy? The ones that you dig through every child’s bag to find?

Ooo, candy! I’m partial to Twix and Laffy Taffy and nerds.

Q. Did you dress up for Halloween when you were younger? If so, which costume was your favorite? Why so?

Yes! We always dressed up. I went as the Headless Horseman one year (minus the horse), and Cousin It from the Adam’s Family another. (I had really long hair. It worked.) I always had the most fun with the costumes that took a little thinking, and weren’t the same thing everyone else was wearing.

Q. Do you have any Halloween traditions that you do every year? How did they start?

Unfortunately, no. I used to take my brothers trick-or-treating when they were younger, and we always carved pumpkins and stuff, but never anything big. We’re trying to change that. Last year I painted headstones and put them all over the yard, and we had a fire and a cauldron of cider. It was awesome! And we had 0 trick-or-treaters. lol

Q. What costume do you think you’ll see the most this year?

I’m betting I see more Avengers costumes than anything else. And YAY for that!

Q. In regards to YA, who/what do you feel could be the creepiest paranormal creature? Vampires, werewolves, faeries, angels, demons, etc.? Why?

Ooo, good question! I think all of those can be pretty creepy, but it’s all about the execution. I think the creepiest paranormal creature is the one you don’t expect to be creepy – the angel that’s not the nice critter you think, or the not actually harmless urban legend. For me, it’s less about the WHAT and more about the WHO!

Q. And lastly, any plans for tonight?

Well, we’re prepared for trick-or-treaters, but I’ll probably end up sitting in front of a nice fire and eating the bowl of candy because no one shows up!

BOB. Eeep, thank you so much for being here, Cait! I hope you have a treat-tastic evening!

Thank you so much for having me, Momo!! And happy Hallowe’en to you and all your readers!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

So, what did you think of Cait's villains? Did any of them make your list? Sephiroth totally makes mine only because he's so darn fine, haha! Ooo, and Loki is definitely on my list as well, lol! Let me know who is on your villians list in the comments below!

Also, what are your plans for Halloween tonight? Do share! I'll be going out with my nieces and nephews and hanging with my siblings as we go trick-or-treating! Be safe and most importantly, have a whole load of fun!


1 comment:

  1. Great post!! I love Halloween! I dress up every year, usually twice. Once for an "adult" Halloween party, and then on Halloween. My Halloween day costume is usually something normal like Wonder Woman, A Fairy, and Angel... I'm bringing the kiddo out so I keep it tame. For my parties I always get all scary zombified!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p