Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Oct 6, 2012

Author Interview: Justine Dell


Today, I have an interview with Justine Dell, author of Recaptured Dreams.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

About the Book:

Title: Recaptured Dreams
Author: Justine Dell
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Release Date: September 18th, 2012


Ten years, the Atlantic Ocean, and several rungs in society have kept Xavier Cain from having Sophia Montel. Now twenty-seven, he’s spent his entire adult life building a fashion empire that could finally prove his worth to her family. When fate reunites him with Sophia at London’s premiere fashion show, one problem lodges in Xavier’s path: Sophia doesn’t remember him.

The only obstacle that has kept Sophia from Xavier is a horrific car crash that erased her memory at seventeen. She’s spent the last ten years fighting to reclaim a sliver of her past that her mother refuses to help her remember. When Sophia meets Xavier at the London show, however, all her fantasies come to life in one night of passion. Discovering he is the missing link, she is determined to find all the pieces to their love story and her memory.

Xavier wants forever. Sophia wants her memory. If they take this chance, they’ll have to start over. How far are they willing to go get what they want? And when the past catches up to them, can they handle the truths it has hidden?

eBooks: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Paperbacks: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound | Book Depository

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Q. What about writing captivates you the most?

The freedom of it. I’m a panster and love how a story just comes to life as I am writing it. It’s magical for me and allows me to unrestrict myself. LoL.

Q. What inspired you to write Recaptured Dreams?

A contest I heard about. You had to write the first chapter of a series romance and enter it in the contest. My coworker said I should enter, and together we came up with the idea of Xavier, fashion designer extraordinaire. The rest of the story was written around him. My chapter didn’t win obviously, but a great story came out of it!

Q. Did you write any other stories before Recaptured Dreams was published?

Yes, one. The very first romance I ever wrote. And it will forever remain locked away in my desk drawer. Yes, it was that bad.

Q. How long did it take you to write Recaptured Dreams?

Thirty days. The first draft was on 42K, so really it wasn’t a lot.

Q. What’s your favorite quote from Recaptured Dreams?

It comes from our hero, Xavier: “Sophia was more than just paradise. She was the very reason he breathed.”

Q. How much did the story change from the first draft to the final copy?

Whew. I don’t know if I can even give that a good answer. The bones of the story are the same. A lot of the original content is still very much there. The big differences came in the way of adding details, emotions, and specifics to certain aspects of the story. I added some scenes for depth and more character development, which in the end made the final copy just under 70K, I think.

Q. What was the hardest part of writing Recaptured Dreams?

Nothing. That story literally flew right out of me. I always like to think the easiest part of writing a story is writing it. All the hard stuff comes after that. Like editing. *shudders*

Sometimes I struggle with a middle hump in a story but I don’t remember anything like that for Recaptured Dreams. Out of the all the stories I’ve written, it was the fastest, the easiest, and the one I love most to this day.

Q. What’s one thing you learned during the process of getting Recaptured Dreams published?

The one thing that proved most difficult with getting this particular story published was the length. You see, I don’t think a story should be 90K just because your publisher says it needs to be. I think if you can tell a good story in 60 or 70 thousand words, you should be able to do that. The problem is finding a good publisher who will publish shorter works. I think I was destined to find Omnific for this reason. They know that shorter stories can be just a powerful. That’s what Recaptured Dreams is. To me, anyway.

Q. When you’re not writing, you’re ___________________?

Thinking about writing. *giggle*

Q. What are your best author moments?

Well, I’m still very new to all this, so every moment is a big moment for me. When I signed my publishing contract. When I saw my cover for the first time. When I saw my galley review copy. When I saw my book on Amazon. When I got my author copies in the mail. *swoon* When I got my first review. Every moment is a best moment.

Q. If this was twitter, how would you pitch Recaptured Dreams in 140 characters or less?

Boys loves girl, loses girl, then spends 10 years looking for girl. Boy draws girl back with fashion. BUT…she doesn’t remember him. Drama ensues.

Q. What is one piece of advice that you would give to aspiring authors?

Read what you write. And no matter what happens, keep writing. Each word, each paragraph, each finished manuscript makes you that much better.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Favorites:

  • Book of all time--I actually don’t have one. I like too many books, really.
  • Book quote--Again, I don’t have one. I read probably ten books a month and each of them is special in their own way.
  • Place to write--At my computer desk, in my spare room, in complete silence.
  • Genre to write/read--Romance, baby!
  • Song (of all time or at the moment)--Well, my music taste is rather eclectic. I totally love 80’s music (it is my favorite Pandora station!). So don’t laugh when I say my favorite all time song is New Kids on The Block: Step By Step.
  • TV show--I actually don’t watch T.V. However, there is one time of the year when I turn on the tube…to watch Vampire Dairies

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

This or That:

  • Skittles or Starbursts? Starbursts. I think they last longer.
  • E-books or paperbacks/hardcovers? Old school all that way. I need a book to hold.
  • Morning or nighttime? Nighttime. You don’t want to see this mug in the morning.
  • Hot or cold weather? Cold! You can always put more clothes on, but you can only take so many off before you are indecent!
  • Harry Potter, Twilight, or The Hunger Games? None of the above. Sorry!
  • Twitter or Facebook? Connecting with friends/family—Facebook. Connecting with everybody else—Twitter.
  • Comedy or horror? Comedy. I have serious nightmares!
  • Pixar or DreamWorks? Uh…they make movies, right? Cartoons? I’m at a loss here.
  • Lethal Virus or Nuclear Explosion? Nuclear explosion. Kill me and my family fast so I don’t have to witness suffering.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

More About the Author:

[The+ONE.jpg]
Justine lives in the Midwest, happily catering to her family, which consists of a horse-obsessed teenage daughter, and four dogs. She’s never moved from her hometown, but hopes to grow old in a much warmer climate. During the day she works a normal job with college students who try their best to keep her young. They've done a good job thus far. At night, said teenage daughter and her horse require mounds of love and attention. The weekends belong solely to her and her writing. That’s when she morphs into a sticky bug, unable to leave the confines of her computer chair. She started writing three years ago after seeing a movie that set off a chain reaction she couldn't have stopped if she’d wanted. It’s not a hobby for her; it’s an obsession. One she loves and one she loves to share.

Her debut novel, Recaptured Dreams, is available now on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and wherever books are sold. Her second book, All American Girl, will be published in early 2013 by Omnific Publishing.

Find Justine Dell Online: Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

2 comments:

  1. Great interview. I haven't heard of this book before. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across this book recently and love the sound of it. Great interview :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p