Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Aug 16, 2012

Cover Reveal: Swell by Julie Rieman Duck


Title: Swell
Author: Julie Rieman Duck
Publisher: Self-published
Release Date: September 2012

For 15-year-old Beck Ionesco, discovering love with the most popular guy in school is a surprise. So are the bottles and cans he hides in his room and under the car seat. Through Christian, Beck enters a world where you can never be too cool or drunk, and finds herself falling for him, the bottle… and Christian’s dangerous friend Hillman falling for her.

Thank God for that bottle, though, because it’s all Beck has left when Christian abandons her, Hillman begins stalking her, and she finds herself on the wrong end of popularity in the back seat of his car. She’s left to fend for herself and her heart until she finds friendship – and possibly more - with fellow student Jesse.

But Christian wants another chance with Beck, and collides with a drunken fate that becomes his last call. It’s now up to Beck to clean up and reclaim her life, and discover sober love with the one whose life secretly parallels her own.

More About the Author:

I was born near Los Angeles, California and pretty much thought I'd be an artist until I discovered Laura Ingalls Wilder in the third grade. That was it for me! I devoured all of her books, and moved onto the Beverly Cleary "Ramona" series and finally landed where every good YA author should go - Judy Blume. However, it was never on my mind to write for young adults.

I did allow my passion for words to grow into a full-time career as a marketing copywriter and magazine editor. But with all the words going out of my brain every day, I put fiction writing on the back burner for about 20 years. That stopped when I found out I might have thyroid cancer in 2008, and 30 minutes later my publisher told me they were closing the magazine I edited. Sigh. What better time to start doing what I love? Even more than love, I had to do what my soul said.

The result was A Place In This Life, getting an agent, writing SWELL, little rooms, and The Joy & Torture of Joshua James. Then I parted ways with my agent, self-published APITL and Joy & Torture, and continued writing all kinds of gobbledeygook while continuing my stint as a copywriter. Needless to say, I live on Merriam-Webster and think J.A. Konrath is my hero.

It's a bit harder to write now than it was back then, but I don't care. This is what I do, and we should all be doing just that. Cheers!

Find Julie Rieman Duck Online: Website | Blog | Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Julie didn't give up when she parted ways with her agent. This book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p