Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Oct 31, 2010

Book Review: Nightshade

Title:  Nightshade
Author:  Andrea Cremer
Publisher:  Philomel (October 19th 2010)
Genre:  Young Adult
Series:  Nightshade #1
Pages:  454 pages

Synopsis:  Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything--including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

My $0.02

WOW! Andrea Cremer sure knows how to take you on a roller coaster ride!  From the get-go you are thrust into this world of fear, love, loyalty, and servitude!  At first, I was a little bit confused with all the terms (i.e. Keepers, Guardians, Searchers, etc.) but as the story unfolds, Andrea ties everything together perfectly!  Now, I know every story has their team - and for this book I couldn't help but be Team Renier all the way up to when I closed the book!  I could not come around to liking Shay at all! I do not know why!  Everything about Ren got me hooked! Whenever there was a scene between Calla and Shay, I couldn't or didn't feel the chemistry between them, but then again it might have been that I went into reading Nightshade already being Team Ren - who knows!  I love how Andrea writes Ren's character and how he beings to change throughout the book.  Calla Tor is a very strong and independent girl, although she got under my skin a few times with the decisions she made!  She is a very capable alpha female - and as she meets and spends more time with Shay, she begins to question everything she's ever known and everything she's ever been told.  Throughout the book, as the reader, you begin to see Calla realize that maybe everything she's ever known isn't quite what it seems.  Towards the end of the book, I was flipping through the pages faster than I could read!  My heart was getting tossed up and down my rib cage - getting slammed and stomped on - along with Calla's as everything began to unfold and come together! Even until the very last page I was still left guessing what was going to happen! When I read the last line of the book, actually, before I finished reading the last line of the book, my mind was already screaming "THIS IS IT?! Ahh!" I was and still am on such an adrenaline rush! With all the action that occurs towards the end, my blood pulsed through my veins and I just couldn't not review this awesome action-packed story!  I have so much to say, but I can't say too much without giving too much away! LOL :) Just note that it is a definite read! I highly recommend!

6 comments:

  1. I agree! This book is fantastic! I was a bit more torn on which team I was on for this one when usually it's clear to me. I really liked Ren but I have to say that I really believe that she loves Shay, or has stronger feelings for him so I'm team Shay, for now anyway.
    Great review!
    Thanks for linking at Saturday Situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I know! It's usually very clear to me which team I'm on, and usually the team you end up choosing is the team that the author has the girl end up with - not the case with this one, or maybe just not yet, lol! But for some reason, like I stated above, I just couldn't come around to liking Shay. I mean maybe it's because Calla is the supernatural being and Shay's the human. But then again maybe it's because I'm the human, and Ren's the supernatural being, lol! I don't know, but I'm Team Ren all the way :) I'm still rooting for him and Calla! *fingers crossed* Thanks for following, Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Team Shay, right from the beginning I was! I loved this book! I can't wait to see whats going to happen next in Wolfsbane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and am Team Ren all the way. I disliked Shay intensely. I just did a post asking who people preferred and so far all Team Ren :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Debbie OMG! You don't even understand how bad I could not stand Shay! I just couldn't for some reason! I found myself screaming and pulling out my hair whenever Calla was with him, argh! Totally TeamRen alllll the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this book sounds amazing. (:
    I'll put it on my TBR list. (:
    Great review :D
    Happy reading.(:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p