Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Mar 7, 2014

Author Interview: Rose J. Bell

Title: Under the Moon
Author: Rose J. Bell
Publisher: Self
Release date: March 2, 2014


After causing the accident that killed her father and two innocent people, Selena Johnson is left disfigured and without hope. Taking care of her sick mother and her brother, Selena tries to escape the reality.

Keenan Case thought that he was invincible, until one tragic night shattered his world. Left alone with his guilt, he does everything to become a better person.

Circumstances bring Selena and Keenan together. The moment Keenan sees Selena, he decides to pull her out of her shell. Selena tries to keep her distance while Keenan wants to know more about her.

Soon they begin to feel more for each other than friends should do. But will love bring them together or destroy their friendship?
Currently FREE on Amazon !!!!


Welcome to Books Over Boys, Rose! I’m so thrilled and excited to have you stop by my blog today. ;p Let’s start off with some icebreakers, shall we?

Q. What is a song for which you thought you knew the words and later found out that you had them wrong?

Oh, there are many songs! But I would choose Rolling in the Deep by Adele. Even though I love that song, I still sing it wrong. :D

Q. When was the last time you did something for the first time? What was it?

Wow, that is a tough question. Well, I cooked a Turkish specialty for the first time last week and it didn’t end in a disaster! ☺

Q. If you were to perform in the circus, what would you do?

A Lion!!! I love lions because they are so strong and just beautiful. And everyone tells me that I have a lion´s mane :D
--

Tell us a little about yourself. Who is Rose J. Bell?

Q. If you had to describe yourself using three words, they would be…

A little crazy, lazy and chocolate addict.

Q. What’s your most favorite book of all time? Like, ever? ;p

I will choose three books because it is impossible to choose just one book. ☺ First, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. This book is just pure perfection. Then, Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken. I love Wes!!! And the last one would be Making Faces by Amy Harmon. A wonderful and powerful book.

Q. When you’re not writing, you’re ____?

Learning for exams or reading. But mostly reading since it is way more interesting than learning for school. :D

Q. What’s one thing that readers would be surprised to find out about you?

That I am actually from Turkey. Nobody expects me to come from there since I have blond hair and fair skin.
--

*rubs hands together* Now, let’s talk about writing and books, eh?

Q. What about writing captivates you the most?

Just falling into the story and becoming one with the characters. I love to lose myself in a story and feel everything as if it really happens to me.

Q. Your Contemporary New Adult, Under the Moon, releases this March. How would you describe it in one sentence?

Just one sentence? I´m so bad at this. Well, let´s try it. Under the Moon is a story about love, friendship, death, self-acceptance and the power of poetry.

Q. I read on your blog that a personal experience had given you the inspiration for this story. What’s the story behind the story? How did Selena and Keenan come to be?

Selena had a car accident which left her disfigured. My aunt had a car accident a few years ago which has left her disfigured. Thanks to the plastic surgery, her face is not that damaged but you can still see the scars.

The reaction of my aunt to her disfigured face was completely different than I have expected it. She accepted her new face and the only thing that mattered for her was that she and her children were alive.

This, I wanted to write about a character who does not accept her new face and her new life, who suffers under her new face. I wanted to experience how this character would feel and how it is to live with guilt. So, Selena appeared in my head and her story.

Keenan just appeared in my mind. Suddenly he was there and I saw him before my inner eyes standing before Selena and reading her a poem about self-acceptance.

Q. For those who are unfamiliar with Selena, how would you introduce her? What’s Keenan’s favorite thing about her?

Selena is a caring young woman who is lonely and is suffering under her disfigured face.

Keenan loves Selena´s inner beauty, her humor, and her uniqueness.

Q. What are five of your favorite things about Keenan? What’s one of Selena’s favorite lines from him?

I love that Keenan is a poet. I love his poems!! Is it weird that I´m in love with one of my characters? ☺ I love that he tries to be a better person and his desire to help everyone around him. He is devoted and selfless.

I admire Selena´s strength. She takes care about her sick mom and her little brother. Her strength really surprised me.

Q. What do you think is the hardest part of writing? What was the easiest part of writing Under the Moon?

The hardest part of writing is the editing. I love writing the first draft of the story but I really do not like the editing part. It is really killing me. :D

The easiest part was to write the poems ☺. They just came to me and I just needed to write them down.

Q. What can we expect next from you this year? Are there any current works in progress that you can shed a little light on?

I´m currently working on the sequel of Under the Moon. Actually, I didn’t intend to write a second book but I love Selena and Keenan too much to let them go. Furthermore, I´m working on a standalone novel, called You & Me. This book is going to be a tearjerker! So, be prepared! ☺

Q. Lastly, before you go, can you share a snippet from Under the Moon with us?

Of course! The snippet is a little long but I hope you will enjoy it! ☺

Peter pulled the car on the street side and Keenan made a move to get out. I grabbed my bag and climbed out of the car.

“Can you tell me why we are here?” I asked him.

Keenan reached out his hand “Come,” he said.

Ignoring his hand, I walked past him. His chuckle followed me as we crossed the street and headed toward McCarren Park. The park was huge and full of people playing tennis, basketball, and other sport games, even though the weather was cold.

“Come on,” Keenan said, grabbing my hand. As our skin touched, my heartbeat quickened and the desire to never let go of his hand surprised me.

Pull back! Pull back! My inner voice screamed at me, but I let him pull me into the middle of a park where a box and a microphone stood on the ground.

He let go of my hand, flashed me a wicked grin, and then walked to the box. Bending down, he took the microphone from the ground.

Slowly, I began to realize what Keenan was about to do.

“Oh God, no,” I breathed out, shaking my head in denial. “Keenan, please don’t do it.”

He flashed me a grin. “You wanted a unique way to ask you out,” he answered, and then tipped on the microphone.

“Hello, guys!” he spoke into the microphone, his voice loud and clear. “And ladies! I apologize for the interference, but you all would make me a happy man if you could pay attention to me.”

Everyone, really everyone, in the park turned toward us, some were even coming closer. Don’t they have something better to do?

“I want to say something,” Keenan went on, pointing at me. Several heads turned toward me. I cringed and wanted to hide in a hole.

“I want to go out to dinner with her, but she’s fierce as hell and doesn’t make it very easy for me to seduce her.”

I heard some laughter from the audience and heat paints my cheeks red. I dipped my head, covering my scars with my hair.

“She said that I had to ask her in a unique way to go out with me. And so, here I am.”

He looked directly at me, his gaze intense. His gaze stabbed into my soul, trying to find a way in. I was unable to look away.

“You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. And believe me, I’ve seen many women. But your beauty is different. Raw and soft at the same time. Isn’t she beautiful?”

Some nodded and some yelled out yes. My face burned and all I wanted was to run away and hide myself. But Keenan’s eyes held me in place.

“I’d like to read something to you,” he said to me.

Keenan cleared his throat before he began to read with his soft and deep voice,

“The poem is called: The first glance.

You were standing there,
Your presence changing the atmosphere.
I can’t help to stare,
Your beauty is so rare.


Watching you
Is like the sunset on the ocean shore.
Hearing your voice
Left me wanting more.
Oh, baby you’re giving me no choice.


I beg you to fulfill my loneliness
With your gracefulness.
I beg you to give me a glimpse
Of your pure soul.


Baby, make me whole,
Make me free
And go out with me.”


When he stopped talking, everything was so quiet that I could hear my heart hammering against my ribcage. I was staring, shocked, at Keenan.

The crowd around us began to shake in cheers and whistles. But I didn’t hear anything. My ears were craving for Keenan’s smooth voice and his beautiful words.

Keenan walked closer toward me, our eyes locked. He pulled out a red tulip from behind his back and stopped before me.

My heart threatened to explode in my heart, and I swallowed down the thick ball in my throat.

He held the red tulip between us, saying in the microphone, “I’d like to know you better. Would you go out with me, Selena?”

Thank you the most for being here today, Rose! It’s been such a blast and I’m definitely looking forward to reading Under the Moon!

Thank you so much for having me! ☺

I would like to say that 50% of the profit from Under the Moon will go to the organization, Changing Faces, which helps people with disfigurement.

So, if you would like to donate a few dollars to the organization, please support them here: https://www.changingfaces.org.uk/Support-Us.

About the author:

Rose J. Bell is a pen name for an 18-year-old author living in a small town in Germany. In between going to school and reading too many books, instead of learning for her exams, she writes young adult urban and epic fantasy. She is the author of The Hunters and Hell's Pirates series.

Connect with Rose J. Bell: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p