Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Mar 17, 2015

Cover Reveal + Author Interview: Grey (The Romany Outcasts Series, #1) by Christi J. Whitney


Title: Grey (The Romany Outcasts Series, #1)
Author: Christi J. Whitney
Publisher: Harper Voyager UK
Expected publication: April 30, 2015
Age group: Young Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Goodreads | Amazon
Sebastian Grey always thought he was a fairly normal teenager – good friends, decent grades, and a pretty sweet job in his foster brother’s tattoo shop.

But when strangers arrive in town, Sebastian soon realizes that his world is nothing at all what it seemed. Secretive gypsies surround him, shadowy figures stalk him, and the girl he’s been dreaming about turns up at school.

Now Sebastian must protect this girl at all costs, even if it means he will never be normal again.

Welcome to Books Over Boys, Christi! I’m thrilled to have you here today to talk about your upcoming debut, Grey. In the likes of Twitter, how would you describe your debut in 140 characters or less?

Thanks so much for having me! I’m delighted to be here. Okay, so my short description of Grey would be this: A secretive clan of Outcast Gypsies pull 18-year-old Sebastian into a world of secrets, tales of gargoyles, and a destiny he cannot escape.

Q. What can you tell us about your couple, Sebastian and Josephine, that we won’t find in the book?

Oh, that’s a tough one! Sebastian and Josephine are two very different people, thrown into contact under some unusual circumstances. Even though they find out some extremely interesting things about the other, both are characters of hidden depths. But let’s go for something a bit more surface level here. Josephine once walked a tightrope without a net as part of a dare. Sebastian is secretly freaked out by needles. And bats. You’ll have to ask him why.

Q. What kind of writer are you? Do you plot and outline? Do you write as you go? Or are you a little bit of both?

As much as I would love to say I plot all my books out in a strategic fashion, my personality doesn’t always like that much structure. I really do a bit of both. For Grey, it began with a set of images and scenes in my head which I began writing out, and it grew from there.

Q. If you had a “theme song” that played whenever you walked into a room full of people, what would it be?

Though I’m nowhere as cool as a time-traveling alien with an amazing blue box, if it were possible to stake claim to it, my song would be the theme from Doctor Who. It just makes you want to take off on an adventure.

Q. Lastly, before you go, can you share a snippet from Grey with us?

It would be my pleasure! Sebastian works in his brother’s tattoo shop, doing menial jobs. Lately, his brother has become pretty secretive, and Sebastian begins to suspect his ordinary world might not be what it seems. In this short scene, Sebastian is taking out the trash when he encounters something that confirms his suspicions—and what’s worse: it involves him.

Then I heard it—a shuffling sound from the other end of the alley. It wasn’t unusual for someone to be behind the building, dumping trash or breaking down boxes. But it wasn’t the sound that bothered me. My skin began to crawl, and the base of my skull throbbed to the rhythm of my steadily quickening pulse. The atmosphere around me felt suddenly dark.

Very, very dark.

I pressed my back against the cold metal and peered around the dumpster. The building was black and ominous. Under the feeble light, the rows of doors gaped at me like hollow, fathomless eyes. The alley was deserted.

“Hello?” I called out into the darkness.

The only reply was the creaking of an old pine tree as a breeze chilled the October air.

I could see my breath spewing in white puffs as I breathed. I set my jaw to stop my chattering teeth and pushed myself away from the trash bin, eyeing the back door of the shop.

A shadow passed across the alley. No, it was more than a shadow. It was like smoke, blackened and thickly curled. It crept along the ground, clinging to the gravel and trash, enveloping the road. It could’ve been fog, but it moved too quickly. Like it had some kind of purpose.

Fair is foul, and foul is fair. The line from Macbeth ran through my head as I watched the mist slither closer, leaving a translucent trail. Hover through the fog and filthy air.

The air seemed to whisper jumbled sounds, like many voices speaking to me at once—none distinguishable or pleasant. My blood dropped to subzero levels. I could feel my heart crashing against my ribcage. I remained perfectly still, hardly daring to breathe. The mist continued to roll towards me, gaining in breadth until it stretched the width of the alley.

The door to the shop seemed a hundred miles away.

The smoke rose and hovered above me like a storm cloud. I could feel energy swirling inside it—a presence, alive and vibrant, propelling it downward. It drifted against my skin, cold and warm. I crouched, digging my shoes into the mucky ground, ready to make a run for the door. Then a strange, female voice whispered in my ear.

We’ve found you . . .

Thanks so much for being here today, Christi! I can’t wait for the release of Grey!

About the author:

Christi J. Whitney is a former high school theatre director with a love for the dramatic. She lives just outside of Atlanta with her husband and two sons.

When not spending time with them or taking a ridiculous number of trips to Disney World, Christi can be found directing plays, making costumes for sci-fi/fantasy conventions, watching a lot of British television and superhero movies . . . and basically just being a geek.

Connect with Christi J. Whitney: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p