Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Apr 13, 2012

Book Review: Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Pure (Covenant, #2)Title: Pure
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: April 3rd, 2012

Find Jennifer L. Armentrout Online: Twitter | Blog | Facebook | Website
There is need. And then there is Fate...

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her.

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

My $0.02

Oh my sweet goodness!  I can’t even…WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!  And once again, Jennifer L. Armentrout has delivered another mind-blowing novel!  Actually, she went over and beyond because right now, my mind and brain is screwed.  I don’t even know what to think…nonetheless, how.

Throughout the whole time that I read Pure, I felt like I was approaching the steep drop of a roller coaster ride.  The action, the emotions, the pain—it was never-ending.  It was like the thrill of the drop that your stomach inevitably experiences when you ride a roller coaster.  I found myself experiencing all of that with Alex, over and over again.  And even after I had read a certain scene, the emotions I felt because of it, stayed with me until the very end.

Pure picks up where Half-Blood ended and it does not take long for you to get wrapped up in Alex’s world, once again.  Pure certainly allows you to explore more of the Covenant or Covenants, I should say, and it definitely dives deeper into the politics and crazy make-up of everything that the Half-Bloods and Pures are.  In this nail-biting sequel, a whole lot of $&*! goes down for sure and you will find yourself flipping through the pages quicker than your eyes can read over the words.  When I read Pure, I certainly got all the feels!  All my emotions were very present and very raw.  I bawled in this one, I have to admit, and for all of you who have read it…you probably know what scene I’m talking about.  Heck, you guys might even know what page.  Remember how I had written in my Half-Blood review that you don’t see much of Seth until the end?  Well, in Pure, Seth is written all over it.  As you know, I’m an Aiden gal (forever and ever, amen!) but man, was Seth oh-so-very…everywhere in Pure or what!?  No matter how much you wanted to escape him and run to Aiden, you just couldn’t.  I don’t know what is in store for Alex and Seth and Alex and Aiden…but whatever it is, Alex just better end up with Aiden or else…I’ll be coming after JLA with pitchforks and everythang!

Like I mentioned above, the story gets a whole lot more complicated, more things come into play, Alex is pushed to the limit…over and over again; she’s constantly being tested and most of the time, I felt for her.  I couldn’t imagine what she was going through; I couldn’t even comprehend how she was still functioning day to day.  But hello, that’s why I love her so much—she’s so strong and resilient and she always bounces back because you know, there’s no point in dwelling on what was and you just have to move forward and do something with what’s been handed to you.  She experiences and witnesses some things that are kind of like eye-openers and she really starts thinking about where her heart lays versus where her head tells her heart to lay.  LOL!

Pure seriously opened up a can of worms!  After I finished reading it, I was left with so many unanswered questions and I just kept asking who this, what that, when this, how that, and just…WHAT THE EFF!?  I was very conflicted about Aiden in this one.  Yes, I will always be Team Aiden. St “Thunderstorm eyes” Delphi but I felt like he was so evil and mean in this one, which was totally understandable because you know…hello, Pures and Halfs are forbidden but man, I missed the nice and kind Aiden.  I felt like he was gone for most of the book…and he was, which gave Seth his chance to sort of slip in and work his charms on Alex, but I don’t think she fell for anything and even if she did, I don’t think she fell too hard. ;)  And that ending—oh my freakin’ geeee!  I just remember thinking, “But…but…but I just got Aiden back!  NOOOO!” That statement might not make too much sense…but if you wanna discuss what I meant by that, well you know where to reach me!  See?  I told you, I got all the feels for this one.  I am still so conflicted and I don’t even know what is going to happen!  Or what could possibly happen.  Another reason why I love JLA—she knows how to keep me on my toes, waiting for that inevitable drop! ;)

I am dying for Deity and thank the gods (haha) that we don’t have to wait too long for its release!  I can’t believe what JLA delivered to us in Pure—the storyline is, without a doubt, building for a very intense and crazy ending in the series and no matter where JLA decides to take it, just know that I will have popcorn ready because I am so ready to see what is going to go down!


Links to purchase Pure: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

18 comments:

  1. Very awesome review, Momo! I really felt the excitement and the frustration you must have gone through while reading the book. See now, I want to read Pure too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you talk about the struggles that ALex goes through in this book. It was a rough one for her. I love how Jennifer talks about really tough subjects without really talking about them. You got the point very well based on what you said about her. Awesome review as always.

    Thanks for being part of the tour.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job, Momo (You Rock, Sistah!) I'm like you, I feel the energy in the passages and the interactions between both the guys with Alex. Jennifer gives us that insight in such a manner that we don't have to dig for it or second guess it... that much! There's just enough said to keep the pages turning so fast they almost catch on fire!

    Loved your review, Momo - As always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WILL BE WITH YOU WITH PITCHFORKS AND FIRE! AIDAN FOR THE WIN <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY guess actually is that Seth will die...... I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg I know, right? And I think I know exactly the scene you're talking about. When I read it the first time, I almost threw my computer. I'm glad I can finally discuss that with someone now ;)

    And I did threaten JLA, too. Aiden FTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series is going to drive me crazy I can just tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, i like it but i'm not sure i could forgive aiden...seth is better i'm starting to think so

    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review!!! Team Aiden!!!
    and yeah Deity could not come faster :D

    Thanks for being part of the tour!!! <3
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the review, although I read the first few lines & skimmed the rest, because I want to feel all those feelings when reading pure for the first time =) If that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I am so excited to read Pure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your review. I am really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Momo, I just friggin love your review!! That is all I really have to say. You know I loved Pure, and I love JLA, so that's all. You rock my face off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I love me some JLA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! I didn't enjoy Pure as much as you did, but I did love the ending... and Seth ;)

    Misa
    The Magic Attic Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there,
    I feel you about that scene. It was just heartbreaking and, for me at least, unexpected as heck! Anyway, great review! Even though, I am totally Team Seth I know Alex isn't going to pick him. Like ever. Which is probably why I'm rooting for the Apollyon :p
    Enjoyed your post,
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven’t red the book yet but I think it’s quite nice to read since I am a book lover! Nice blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omigod!!! I read Half Blood, loved it and am now dying for Pure, like ever time I see the cover I go all *grabby hands* mode on the thing xD Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p