Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Sep 13, 2012

Author Interview with Elizabeth J. Kolodziej


With Trent gone, Faith, the last witch in the world, feels she cannot go on without him. The pain grows so intense that she shuts out her friends and loved ones to be alone, unsure of what to think about the paranormal world anymore. But when on a trip to see Gordon she realizes what she can do to make the pain go away. A spell.

The spell ends up back firing and Faith has now forgotten the past six months. All the memories of vampires, werewolves, and her magical training have vanished. And the first to find her is Louis who comes to whisk her away and change the course of her life forever.

Webs of lies and deceit have Faith feeling powerless and so scared that when Louis gives her the option of becoming a slayer she takes it, hoping to get revenge on the race she believes stole the past six months of her life away. With the Goddess Circe interfering, Lilith still missing and Faith unable to remember Trent, no one knows what will happen next!

However, when a stranger enters her life bringing with him secrets to her missing memories, Faith can no longer trust those around her and must figure out for herself who is good and who is evil, the world of vampires and werewolves or that of slayers. The coin is still up in the air and Faith must make a choice of where her devotions lie.

Vampyre Kisses (The Last Witch, #1)Q: How long did it take you to write Witch Devotions?

Writing Witch Devotions was very difficult for me because my father had passed right when I began writing it. I believe I was a couple chapters in. He died of cancer in March of 2011. He was my biggest supporter and the smartest man I know. With his death hitting me so hard I didn't write anything for around five months.

After that I realized I could really connect with Faith and what she was going through because Faith herself was dealing with loosing someone close to her. I ended up using the emotions from my dad's death and basically Witch Devotions turned out to be a way to get all my feelings out. It is truly my barest truest emotions coming out about death and the effects it can have on a person.

I would say it took me around five months to write the first draft. Then of course it gets beta read and edited which can take months or weeks depending on how free the editors and beta readers are.

Q: How much did the story change from the first draft to the final copy?

I believe most of my books from this series do a bit of changing, but not in a whole. There are always certain scenes that end up getting cut or re-vamped because the beta reader or editor brings up good points. But the bare bones of the first draft are always there.

I would say the biggest change from first draft to final copy was the ending. I couldn't decide what to do so I ended up writing two different versions and asking for opinions. I can't say much more than that because I don't want to give away any spoilers. But I will say this, the alternate ending will become available for all those who are subscribed to my mail chimp emails on my website. Along with a deleted scene.

Q: What was the hardest part of writing Witch Devotions?

The first chapter. That went under several revisions before I got it right. With my dad being on my mind it got personal and at some points I ended up writing too much of what I wanted to say and how I felt rather than writing what Faith felt and wanted to say. However, I do believe the first several pages are some of my best writing for it.

Werewolf Descent (The Last Witch, #2)Q: Many writers describe themselves as "character" or "plot" writers. Which are you?

Hmmm. That is such a hard question! I think I have to have a good plot figured out with the bare bones and after that the characters show me what happens. I believe my stories are equally character and plot driven because, in my humble opinion, a story isn't good without a worth wild plot. It is why I research so much before and while I write. But the characters are so connected to me that they sometimes invade my dreams!

Q: If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?


That depends on if we are talking about my very first novel Vampyre Kisses or Witch Devotions. Yes, Vampyre Kisses I would have published differently. I call it first author syndrome. That point where a first time author doesn't research the industry enough and wants everything to happen over night. That is not how it works. Publishing a book takes time and if you rush it, it will most likely fail. Also, I went with a vanity publishing agency to get VK out and I learned my lesson from that. Now I have my own publishing company, Third Broom on the Left Press and publish my books for this series myself. I don't regret anything when it comes to publishing and writing Witch Devotions.

Q: Do you have any new works in progress? Care to elaborate?


Omg! A better question would be what don't I have my hand in. Currently I am working on getting Mac's short story, The Witch's Guardian, out there. It is with the beta reader right now. My steampunk YA zombie romance, Gravely Inanimated, is with a beta reader as well. I am crossing my fingers to have it out in November, but that particular novel is connected to certain people and it may take some time to get everyone together on it.


Along with that I am working on a short story for the prequel to The Last Witch Series plainly called The Last Witch. It will be a freebie I plan to giveaway. From Demons, With Lust will be out soon. That is being edited and I am working on another novella for Sizzler Editions while that is with the editor.

I do want to write a children's book using Oran from the Last Witch Series. But that is a little more difficult than I had anticipated.


Of course I am working on Demonic Charms, the fourth book in The Last Witch Series, which will have cross over characters from my erotica series I publish through Sizzler Editions. I also want to begin the Prequel to Gravely Inanimated. I have a wonderful idea for that.


All of which I really want to have done by the end of this year! Yeah, I'm a workaholic when I get ideas. Its just so hard to get the characters to stop talking and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Find Elizabeth J. Kolodziej Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Facebook Group
Purchase Elizabeth J. Kolodziej's Books: Amazon

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on the blog Momo!! It was so much fun getting to know you and I hope to be back soon! :)

    <3's and fangs,
    Liz ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Liz! It was sad to hear that your father's passing affected you so much in writing this book. On the other hand, it's good also to hear that you were able to draw from that grief and complete this book. Congrats on your new release and all the best in your writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I can't imagine. You sound like a very strong person. And I like what you said about putting your emotions into your characters to help you deal with the pain. I can relate to that. Witch Devotions sounds like an amazing read! It is definitely on my list! Congrats on your series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great way to deal with discarded but beloved words. I always hate losing pieces. I wonder if that will work for me. Or if in my case, less truly is more.

    However, in your case, I expect it to work wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your father, but I'm glad you did something wonderful with your grief. Congratulations on your series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By pouring your emotions into your story, you honored your father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your Father. I'm sure it was tough to get back into the swing of things, but am sure he was pleased you did.

    Congratulations on the new release, great cover and fantastic sounding story.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice interview! I agree with the other commenters. Very sorry to hear of your father's passing, but it really is great you could use your grief to push on and complete you book. I'm sure it has a lot of touching emotion in it. Also, I know your father would have been very proud of you for completing it. Congratulations in doing so. Wishing you all the best of luck with your release. I'll definitely add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about your father. The books sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Elizabeth - great interview! I'm sorry about your father, but big congrats on the book! I wish you every success. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p