Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Sep 15, 2012

Books Over Boys Lays It All On the Line

Milestones

When I first set out to blog, I was most intrigued by the whole idea of getting my thoughts and feelings out there about the books I read and in doing so, I discovered an enormous outlet to this world that I was never aware of. Twitter, being able to talk to authors, fangirling with other passionate fans--just everything is so surreal. To a bookworm, an author is their biggest celebrity and in the midst of all these days, I sometimes take it for granted that I get to talk to some of my biggest author crushes on a daily basis (mostly via twitter) but please know that it always makes my day and it means the world to me when I get a follow or a tweet from you guys.

Like The Maine once said, “There is still something to be said for desire, and it just takes a handful of passion to start a fire.” That handful of passion in this world of books is definitely its readers. They have so, so, so, so much passion that they can seriously burn down anything in their path. During my time blogging, I have come across some of the most amazing, hard-working, passionate, determined, opinionated, awesome, and down-to-earth book lovers I have ever met! This whole blogging thing wouldn't even be possible if their hunger for reading didn't burn as bright as it does. I have had so many wonderful experiences with everyone I've met that I'll never forget. Only fellow book lovers truly understand what it means to "squee" and "swoon." Only they can understand what the written word can make another feel. Only they can truly understand that there's really magic in opening a book and escaping, if only for a few hours. I hope that no matter what, if rain pours down on your burning flame, that you keep that hunger alive and strong.

Over this year and a half of blogging, I've seen and experienced a whole lot of ups and downs. Either within myself or just within the blogging community itself, that has made me questioned everything. Often times, I've wondered if all of this is worth anything and other times, I know that it's worth everything and more. Blogging has opened up my eyes to such a bright and beautiful world of books but where there is light, darkness always follows and there's just so much smoke suffocating my lungs that I am desperately gasping for air, trying to claw a way out. The smoke burns my eyes and I can't see the line that separates good from bad anymore; it's all blurred into one confusing image. But I guess good and bad are never really on two separate sides anyway, they're constantly weaved together.

Blogging is such a privilege that I feel has been taken advantage of and slightly abused. Whenever someone asks me what does it mean that I blog, I simply answer, "I read books and then I review them." If only they knew what I know now that it is simply not that simple. When I first started blogging, I really thought that was all there was to it. I never knew that I could interact with authors, editors, and publishers the way I do now. It's really a double-edged sword. One side is privilege but the other side of it for me, is guilt. Books Over Boys is still such a baby even though it's approaching its two years. I can't or don't quite know how to deal with the fact that when I accept a review, it's okay if I don't have the time to review a novel. I just feel like if I said yes to an author, I should review their book. It's not that I'm accepting anything for free, it's just I find the whole review process really hard and now, a year and a half later, I find it almost like work in a way. And because of that, I don't want any authors to feel like I'm saying an empty yes when I accept a review request. And because of this, I just feel like I'm way over my head and not cut out to blog. I really did not know what I was getting myself into when I decided to create B.O.B.

A lot of times I just feel really bad and that I don't do enough, that my blog is lacking. I wish I could whip out three reviews a week, post every single day, read super fast, and be more interactive. I find a whole lot of all of this to be very intimidating. It scares the life out of me to request a book review from publishers and authors, like what makes me think I have the validity to do such a thing? And because I suck at writing reviews, I stopped requesting advanced reader copies about six months after I started blogging. It is such an honor when Books Over Boys receives an invite to join a blog tour or a review request and for that, thank you! When I first started blogging, this whole idea was like a shiny new puppy to play with that I just wanted to do it all! But now I know that I shouldn't bite off more than I can chew.

Even though I can't serve it up on a silver platter for all of you, I am content with where Books Over Boys is. Some days, I wish I could do it all but then I stop and realize it's okay that I can't. Like Lady Antebellum once said, "Trying to be everything can make you lose your mind." Despite everything, here you guys are, still reading (I hope!) and following Books Over Boys, whether it be my blog, twitter, goodreads, facebook, or tumblr. I cannot express how much it means the world to me. It is so humbling and rewarding in all sorts of ways that I can't even put how I feel into words. I don't know what I did to deserve such a following but I appreciate every single one of you so much!

Most of you probably know that I am on twitter like a cracked-up addict. I don't know why but I just cannot stay away from that thing; it's like a disease that I've been infected with and no matter what I do, I can't find a cure for it. But through twitter, I have discovered so many amazing and new things: new blogs to check out, new books to keep an eye out for, new tv shows to watch, new songs and artists to youtube for hours, release dates for books, authors' book playlists, author signings and events, and just so much more! Twitter is just...awesome! And if you aren't on there, you should really get on that! I totally get that some might not get it but like I always say, give something a reason and it will prosper. My twitter is for me to interact and be in the loop about anything and all things book related and therefore, it's become like a third arm to me. And because I love it so much and it ties back into my blog, I think it's about time I celebrate all my amazing followers there and here.

As you can see, my blog just crossed the 900 followers milestone, my twitter just reached the 1,900 followers zone, and B.O.B's second birthday is almost upon us. Let's countdown to 1,000 blog followers and 2,000 twitter followers by the time B.O.B's birthday rolls around, eh? I feel like it's so time to celebrate. EVERYTHING.

If you guys can help me reach the 2k mark on twitter and the 1k mark here on my blog before or on my second blog birthday, there will be lots of greatness coming! I'm not really sure yet, I'll have to take a look at my shelf to see what awesome I can whip up but, it's going to be epic (I hope)!


I just want all of you to know that I greatly appreciate every single one of you and I love all of you guys to pieces and thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart for being a follower of Books Over Boys! THANK YOU!

7 comments:

  1. "A lot of times I just feel really bad and that I don't do enough, that my blog is lacking. I wish I could whip out three reviews a week, post every single day, read super fast, and be more interactive. I find a whole lot of all of this to be very intimidating." YES to that! Sometimes I feel the same way... But must of the times it's all awesome and rewarding. And it's OK if you can't do it all, because at the end of the day, we're doing this for fun and for the love of all things books, right?:D
    Also, yay for the blogging community! And many more followers to come, you rock! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is fabulous!! I had no clue how much work goes into blogging when I first started either. I don't know how people who go to school or work full time can keep up with it all. I am an at home mom with just my daughter and I find it a bit overwhelming sometimes. Like you, I have the guilt if I don't get something done, but I have learned to just step back and breathe. It's not the end of the world if I don't get that review up, or if I don't like a book so I stop instead of force myself to get through it. You do awesome Momo! You deserve all of your follower plus many, many more!! Love your face babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it can be prett intimidating getting a post up just most days of the week, especially when the academic year rolls around. However, quality is much better than quantity, and you've got that. You're an awesome blogger, and I enjoy reading your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog...very interesting...I love to read...I'm a slow reader...): I would love to stay in touch...pls check out my blog..I write poems from time to time...

    thanks!

    www.dipikasyngai.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing such a fantastic job! On behalf of authors everywhere...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, you are so sweet! I don't have a blog because I don't have the time but I understand how you feel, the authors and bloggers that make reading all these amazing books even more special. You're doing a great job with your blog, I follow you since....forever! LOL

    Ah yes, Twitter totally right about that too! I'm waaaayy too shy to actually talk to other bloggers and authors (It took me forever to actually tweet something @ you haha) but when I find the guts to do it is just super fun and always paste a huge smile on my face when people reply :P All the things you can find on Twitter it's amazing! I love that!

    Congratulations on all your followers and your soon second birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your blog is great. I'm a pretty new blogger. I've only had my blog since then end of May. So I don't know a lot yet. But I talk to people on Twitter and had a few giveaways.

    Congrats on your blog being 2 years old :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p