Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Aug 6, 2011

The YA Crush Tournament Comes To An End



On July 2nd after an exhausting Saturday afternoon, I laid down to finally get some shut eye, but of course before I checked out for the evening, I logged on to the twittah. My awesome blogger buddies Jaime and Patricia were tweeting with Brittany and Amy about something called the YA Crush Tournament. I was reading a few of their tweets and so I finally checked out the blog and I read THIS post and scrolled through the list of contenders and sad to say, I only knew about six of the guys on the list so I went ahead and decided to advocate for Patch Cipriano from the Hush Hush saga by Becca Fitzpatrick!

I did not know what I had put myself in charge of, lol! Surely four days after the original post went up, the first two matches went up on July 6th - the start of the first round of the tournament. Because they were the very first two matches of the whole tourney, I wasn't really sure how things worked but the rules and voting were super simple. All you had to do was vote and vote and vote. Oh and spread the word, of course! Each match lasted 48 hours and the voting process was limitless; you were able to vote as many times as you liked! Immediately after the two days were up, the next matches began and so on and so forth until the end of the first round.

Before Patch's first match in the first round against Renier Laroche from Andrea Cremer's Nightshade, my part of advocating was...to spread the word and inform people about the tourney! So in the days leading up to the match, I was tweeting like crazy, I contacted the administrators for the official fan website, I was all over the Hush Hush fan forum. I made a thread post on Goodreads, and I personally contacted people who stopped by Becca Fitzpatrick's blog; I was advocating like crazy! I wasn't sure if Patch would make it through his matches, nonetheless get as far as he did! At the end of the two days, Patch was victorious against Ren and so that advanced him into round two where he was competing against Peeta from Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games; without a doubt, I went into the match thinking for sure that Patch was going to get pounded into the ground but by some miracle, Patch stood tall at the end! In the third round of the tournament, Patch was up against his toughest competitor yet - Ash, the Ice Prince, from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series!

On the day of the match, I was away at school for this school event so I wasn't able to advocate as much besides tweet from my phone, which was exactly what I did! I was so busy at school that every two hours or so I was able to check my phone and I just kept seeing tweets that Ash was in the lead and then later, tweets were coming in that Patch's army was called upon and...yeah, the match was definitely going back and forth! Because of the first round and the incredibly crazy dedicated fans, we broke the voting systems and from round two and on, everyone was limited to one vote per computer - which in my opinion made the voting seem more fair and accurate. By ten o'clock that evening, I checked the post one last time and saw that Patch was behind by about 200 almost 300 votes and so by then, I had sorta, kinda given up hope that Patch was going to be able to catch up. I mean, where was I going to get that many more people to come and vote for Patch?! ;) Also, at that time the votes were: Patch was somewhere in the 1700 and Ash was in the 2000. Soon after I drifted off to sleep and I was restless (yes, super dedicated right here) because around five almost six in the morning, I woke up and checked on the voting results and saw that Patch and Ash were incredibly close! As the time came down to five minutes, all I could do was stare at the post and break the refresh button! LOL

It was SO intense, my leg was shaking so bad, I couldn't control it! My eyes were like this: O__O as the votes for both Ash and Patch increased after every refresh! They were surely chasing each other! At the very last minute, literally, Ash beat out Patch by about forty votes and...there was the end of Patch's victorious streak!
This whole tournament has been lots and lots of fun; of course it was also gruesome, stressful, tiring and exhausting but fun, without a doubt! But honestly, I'm glad that Patch got out when he did because I don't think...actually I know that Patch won't stand a chance against Jace from Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments! That will be one intense match! Also, because Ash beat Patch in the third round, he will be going up against Jace on August 8th!

Now, thinking back about the whole tournament, it basically made up the whole second half of my summer, lol! Additionally, because of this whole tournament, I have made a huge load of new friends via twitter! Other advocates from the tournament, Patch devotees and just new people in general! This has been a great experience but if this tourney returns next year, pleeeeeeease hold me back and do not let me advocate; this time around was almost going to be the death of me! No joke! It takes a lot of work and dedication to support our YA crush worthy boys, but hey, they're all winners and we all love more than just one of them!


Now after the third match where it was Ash versus Patch, all that I'm thinking about now is: If Ash and Patch ever met.....

LOL, answer that in the comments; imagine that! If Ash and Patch ever met...wow, they would be complete opposites! I think...somewhat!

1 comment:

  1. Haha this is hilarious!! Your leg was shaking hahah!!! That is dedication. Erm I can't comment on if ash met patch cus i sort of couldn't finish iron king. I gave up after 50 pages in >hangs head in shame<, it just wasn't my cup of tea. But I love Patch so I can totally empathise with you love for him.

    You site is awesome, new follower:D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p