Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Mar 19, 2011

Momo's 17th Birthday Bash: Day 12


WOW! My two weeks are up! My 17th birthday bash is coming to a close! Ah! Well, it surely was a lot of fun! I enjoyed every single author guest post that I recieved, all the comments, all the birthday wishes! All of it was very exciting! My first two weeks being a seventeen year old was awesome to share with you all! So, you all know that when something comes to an end you gotta go out with a bang right? Well, I don't really know how a bang should go - so my version of a bang is answering everyone's questions that I did not answer! Eek! Hopefully that doesn't make for an extremely boring post.

Question from Lexus Salvatore: How can you possibly befriend Akasha Hale?
Answer from Momo: Better question - how can you possibly NOT befriend Akasha Hale?

Question from Ivy: Joke: How do you wake up Lady Gaga?  
Answer from Momo: Otay, so I'm super bad with jokes; whenever someone tells me a joke, I don't ever guess unless I know the answer for sure. So, same goes with this one - I don't know. But since Ivy can't respond back and give me an answer, I'll try google lol! *googles* AHAHA! OMG! The answer is HI larious! → Poke her face! WOW!

Question from Gina: I want to know what your first favorite book was? What did you like about it?
Answer from Momo: My first favorite book? Making my brain work! Hmm, well I'm going to cheat a bit and include quite a few books only because I'm not sure if they're my first favorite book! I mean, yeah easily I can say Twilight, but if I think and dig further back, The Charlie Bones Series by Jenny Nimmo was pretty amazing, same with the A Series of Unfortunate Event books by Lemony Snicket. I enjoyed The Charlie Bones series because it had so much adventure and it had me hooked on the series! As of now, I don't think the series is even complete yet, which means I need to continue reading it! The latter series I enjoyed a lot too although at times I felt like the story line for each book was becoming repetitive! Now, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - just that book alone - I love it for so many reasons! I think the number one reason is because it's the first book in a long time that I read and enjoyed very much that made me want to read and devour every book in my path. Honestly, just the emotions, the torture-brooding Edward, just everything - I loved every single inch of the book! And even to this day, it remains as my number one favorite book!

 
Question from Riv Re: I want to ask...what is your most memorable experience in the past 17 years?
And, what's your greatest achievement, in your opinion, from the past 17 years?
Answer from Momo: I mean, obviously my most memorable experience in the past 17 years of my whole entire existense was when I got to see The Maine live! It totally made me hungry for more of that kind of excitement in life! As for greatest achievement, in my opinion, from the past 17 years - hmm. . . *cricket cricket* Lol, kidding, I'd have to say when I made it to the Spelling Bee in my 6th year of school. I made it up to the top 6 out of I don't know how many people, lol! You wanna know one of the words I mispelled? Medicine. Yeah! I know, right?! How could I have possibly spelled that wrong?! I'll tell you just how I spelled it. Medecine. *jaw-drop!* I know! #MomoFail

Question from Sasha S: What was the first book you ever read? Or remember reading?
Answer from Momo: The first book I ever remember reading? Ack, can't remember that one. But as for the first question, again, I'm going to have to cheat and include about two books in here. One would have to be Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault and the other one is The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. Yep! Grade school books! I still remember them! Especially The Rainbow Fish book - the shiny scales on the pictures of the fish, oh man! 
  
summer times / YosigoAlrighty! Those are all the questions! So, was that a bang or no? Eh, otay, fine I guess not! ;) Onto the last guest post of my totally awesome birthday bash! This is one of my most favorite guest post, everything that I was looking for! Stick around and read through it all! I know, I know, I know! I already made you stick through reading all the awesome questions and my boring responses but this guest post should make up for it!

So remember how I posted a while back about how I was feeling bittersweet about turning 17 and leaving 16 behind? Well, surely after reading this post, I felt extremely better and I felt happy and excited to be 17! So, without further delay!

 
The In-between
By: Sang Kromah, Author of Concealed
For: Books over Boys

                We commonly acknowledge the importance of becoming sweet at sixteen. I mean, it gets no better than the year you can finally forego the dependency of being dropped off by some adult or hoping you call shot gun fast enough, so you won’t have to ride back seat. Or wait, maybe it does get better at eighteen, the year you finally reach the finality of adulthood, vote, and make your own decisions. But what about the transitional period in-between the sweetness of sixteen and the inevitability of adulthood? What about seventeen?

Isn’t there some cute adjective for seventeen or something cool about it, besides the fact that you can finally see R-rated films without being embarrassingly handheld by an adult?

I’m going to let you all in on a little secret that the creators of the sweet sixteen and the eighteenth birthday have been keeping from you. Your seventeenth is your most important birthday, because it begins your year of transition…your in-between.

Rarely can we grow or make a move without going through a transitional space or time. Around the world, there are myths and legends about in-betweens—you know, the transitional times and places.  When asked, most people list shorelines, twilight, the edges of forests, or even doorways as the most common in-betweens, forgetting an in-between that every person encounters, their seventeen year. These are the most magical times and places. They’re unstable…unpredictable. Let’s think of them as doorways to the extraordinary.

             Seventeen is an age of discovery. An age where you are not quite a child, yet not quite an adult either. I can’t speak for any other writers of YA, but the magic behind the number seventeen is what prompted me to create a character, whose saga begins at the edge of seventeen—her year of enlightenment. Its importance may not be rammed down our throats like the sixteenth and eighteenth year, but its importance is all around us. So instead of it being the bitter-sweet year before you have to put childish things away, let’s think of it in these terms:
  • For an entire year, there will be an entire magazine devoted to your seventeenth year
  • In the Harry Potter universe, seventeen is the coming of age for wizards
  • In the first book of the Twilight Saga, the protagonist, Bella is seventeen when her life truly begins in Forks
  • There's even a movie about being 17 Again, because let's face it, I wouldn't want to be 16 again
  • Kid Rock - in his own twisted way - alludes to the importance of seventeen when he sings, 'She was 17 but she was far from in between' in his song "All Summer Long."

               The coolness factor of seventeen could go on forever, but the fact is, seventeen is a year of remembrance, discovery, and magic. You remember the importance of your childhood (not anyone else’s), discover who you are or what you aspire to be, and hold on to that magic in order to be the kind of adult that YOU want to be, without letting anyone else define YOU. So, let’s coin the seventeenth birthday, the year of the in-between.
               
                All in all, I guess I’m trying to say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOMO!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

I love that post! Whenever I feel down in my 365 days of being seventeen then all I need to do is read this! :) Well, this is it! I hope every single one of you enjoyed all the author guest posts, all the giveaways, and all my weirdness! *___*

The entire schedule for all the greatness that occurred over these two weeks can be found here! Don't forget to enter the giveaways if you haven't already!

REMINDER: tomorrow author Savita Kalhan will be stopping by the blog for an interview and a giveaway so tune back in for that load of awesomeness!

And if you're still here, reading to the very end of this post, then seriously, pat yourself on the back! YOU ROCK! :) iloveyou!

1 comment:

  1. *pats self on back* Aw, I love you too! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p