Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Mar 15, 2011

Momo's 17th Birthday Bash: Day 8


I know, I know, I know! This post is two days overdue! But my lame-o internet's been down. I had no clue why since it said that I had the connection but it just wouldn't let me get anywhere! It's been kind of nice without the internet but I need it back! Hence, here I am! I was being super nice and sweet to my laptop to get it to work! *Shh! Pets laptop!*

Well fellow readers, today I want to know what you do when you get stuck in a reading slump? :) (HEY! That rhymes - or wait, does it?! *__*) In other words, what do you do when you just can't seem to pick up any book and read? Also, why do you think that occurs?

So. . . what can/do you do to remedy that?



About Leaving Sixteen Behind, and Why These Aren't the Best Years of Your Life

You asked me to write a guest blog about turning seventeen and what it means and how it will change your life. So, here goes... There is no permanent record, not that anyone in the outside world cares about at
least. I mean, even if you're convicted of something in court, the records are sealed if you're a juvenile (sidenote: If you're doing stuff that can get you tried as an adult, might wanna reexamine your life choices, just saying.) so don't worry too too much about one little slip up wrecking your life. Another thing you should know is that I'm the very very worst person to go to for advice on being a productive member of society. And lastly, I can't remember a single thing that I specifically think "Oh, that happened when I was _____ years old!" High school for me was kind of hellish, and then I stopped caring what other people thought so much and it got a bit better, but that wasn't until senior year.

Sixteen and seventeen are weird years, because you're old enough to know what you want. Doesn't matter if the thing you want is your college choice, or your future career choice or even moving away from the town you were born in. You know what you want, what will make you happy, what you need. The problem is, unless your plan matches Their Plan, the people in charge of getting you to adulthood usually won't let you do it. You're not allowed to make your own decisions. I hated being told no, especially when I couldn't get Them to see what something meant to me. Nothing made me want something more than having it forbidden.

Keep. That. Feeling. That's my lesson, my advice. Get stubborn.

See, in a few years, months even, someone is going to tell you no. Someone is going to say you're not good enough, smart enough, brave enough to do something you know is the right decision for you. People are going to tell you no and that you can't and they are going to be wrong. Sixteen and seventeen are the years you learn to fight for what you want and who you'll be and right around the corner is eighteen where you get to BE that person. When no one can stop you.

Know that what's the right decision for you, won't always the easy one, and won't always be the one others would want for you. Don't be afraid to make what other people consider mistakes. Me? I took a bunch of "silly electives" my first year of college. My second year I dropped out and moved to Colorado. To this day, they're two of my best decisions. One of those silly electives was a creative writing course where I wrote the short story that turned into A Touch Mortal. When I got to Colorado, I climbed mountains, swam in hot springs, caved and hiked and had more adventures than most people have in their whole lives.

Here's the thing. These aren't the best years of your life. At least, they won't be if you do it right. They're brutal, but they can't be any other way. Of course, you can feel free to prove me wrong. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p