Home    411 On Momo    Reviews    Review Policy    Contact

Dec 2, 2010

Book Review: The Iron King

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (February 1st 2010)
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Iron Fey #1
Pages: 363
Synopsis: Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
My $0.02

Julie Kagawa is amazing! The Iron King is beautifully written with rich imagination! At first when I was reading it, I kept thinking, "Omg! This is like Alice in Wonderland!" The world that Kagawa created is nothing like I've ever read before! When I read this book, I saw the Nevernever with color everywhere in contrast to Meghan's hometown where it seemed dreary and wet and gloomy. The moment that Meghan steps foot into the Nevernever, I had the lurking dread that danger was right around the corner *cue the Jaws music* In everything that Puck and Meghan did when they first arrived to the climax at the end with Meghan and Ash, danger was creeping and crawling around the pages of the book ready to pounce out at me! I guess it must have been the way how Kagawa intricately weaved danger into a world of enchantment that had me on my toes!

On to the guys - wow! Now, there's always the oh-so-famous love triangle in any sort of book you read and in this one it's pretty obvious, except to Meghan. She doesn't realize that Puck a.k.a Robbie Goodfellow is in love with her. When they arrive in the Nevernever, she meets and dances (one of my most favorite scenes) with Ash a.k.a. the Winter Prince and the love triangle is formed! If you've noticed on my sidebar, I'm Team Ash all the way! I find that there's always the carefree guy then there's the tormented guy, and once in a blue moon there's the bad boy, but that doesn't apply to The Iron King. Anyway back to what I was saying, to me, Puck stood out to me as the carefree, "I'll always be there for you" love interest and Ash seemed to be the tormented, "I have to do what I'm told" love interest. Seeing that I'm Team Ash, I guess that type appeals to me more. Not to say that I don't like Puck, of course I do, but I stand on the Ash sideline :)

I'm a stickler about the way I read, I always have to find one or two perfect songs for that book and I don't like to read the book over a long period, preferably in a few days or even just one day. Anyway, I read The Iron King within a couple of days and during that duration, I listened to Taylor Swift's songs Enchanted and Sparks Fly! Wow, they were perfect; constantly on repeat! They set the mood for everything in The Iron King, cause like I said, the world of the Nevernever is very enchanting. When I was reading, I felt like Meghan had a timeline, and I was racing beside her as we raced to go save Ethan. I felt like we started out running in a straight line, only to find twists and turns that delayed us from our main mission - saving Ethan.

Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series is a MUST READ! I have never read a faery series before, and I'm so happy that this was the very first faery book that I have ever read! I loved LOVE it! I have to go buy my own copy! Ha, did I forget to mention that I borrowed my sister-in-law's copy? LOL! If you haven't read this book, I suggest you get to it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review! I just finished reading the Iron King, but have yet to write my review... Let's see if I could do justice :)

    ps. you've made a follower out of me! I love your blog layout! its super cute! I just started mine, but hopefully i can get it to look as neat as yours soon :)

    Diana @ thelovelygetaway

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Books Over Boys! You're a fun little lollipop triple dipped in awesomesauce. ;p